Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Round Robin >

Round Robin

Round Robin

Old 07-05-2010, 04:50 AM

Hi everybody!

I've got to know quilters all over the world by Facebook and now we would like to start a Round Robin.
That would be California, Sweden, Malta, Australia and me in France. The only thing I worrie about is: how safe will it be to sent quilts to certain countries. My Californian friend has sent some quiltingmaterials to Malta and it was all stolen.......
Is there somebody with some experiance on this matter??
Old 07-05-2010, 04:57 AM
Pam

I have not done this at all, but welcome.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:08 AM

I am in a quilt group and we have ladies from all over us and Australia. We have never had any problems,. Packages always get there,,,Just make sure even ifthey are friends that are trust worthy,,,Ive heard horror stories. The way i look at it when sending my round robins is would I be devestated if something happened to it?...If so I dont send it...I always send nice fabric but not my very favorite. You also have to be very accepting, Sometimes what you picture and someone else pictures can be very different, I have no problem with this but some people are not good at this.
Just a thought...I love the round Robins that I do that are international. Good Luck
Old 07-05-2010, 05:10 AM

No experience, but I would love to do a 5" patch exchange could be fun to get different fabrics. Lace

Originally Posted by pinot
Hi everybody!

I've got to know quilters all over the world by Facebook and now we would like to start a Round Robin.
That would be California, Sweden, Malta, Australia and me in France. The only thing I worrie about is: how safe will it be to sent quilts to certain countries. My Californian friend has sent some quiltingmaterials to Malta and it was all stolen.......
Is there somebody with some experiance on this matter??
Old 07-05-2010, 05:30 AM

Thank you Daisy for your good advice!! I will keep everything in mind and I will tell the other ladies to to do so too.
It will be a challance anyway because I've never met these ladies but we've been writing for a while now and we can get along very well. So, I think we should try this just to see if it works and make it a very small project......
Old 07-05-2010, 05:34 AM

Hi Lace!

The fabrics I use are all bought in the US and the quiltfabrics you can (hardly) buy here are fabrics imported from the US. So I don't think we could swap very different fabrics. I live in the middle of France. Maybe there are real french fabrics in the south but even those fabrics are made in China or comming from the US!
Old 07-05-2010, 05:52 AM

There are a bunch of Round Robins through this site and they all look great! they have international ones as well and they don't seem to have any issues. I can't wait for the next round starts so I can join in too.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:02 AM

where can I find them? I'm so stupid with computers!
Old 07-05-2010, 06:04 AM

there is a section on the main page Member swaps and Row/Round Robins. there are a bunch on there. Here is a link to one of the international ones http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-26670-1.htm there are a bunch though so that is just one example.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

you need to make sure EVERYONE, EVERYTIME adds insurance and delivery confirmation to their packages, no matter where it is going, and make sure that the insurance increases with the quilt...what is appropriate in the beginning is not nearly enough after 2 or 3 rounds are added. I have participated in 5 different international round robins...a couple of them were very expensive to participate in, we were required to not only add our border but also yardage the package grew with each round and by the last round it cost me over $100 just to add the required yardage and mail it to the UK. so make sure your group is ready for the expense involved and knows the cost will grow with each round. different rr's are done in different ways and some you do not have to send extra just the quilt as it grows but packaging still grows and postage requirements grow as well. the expensive one i participated in was 7 rounds all together and i probably spent about $500 participating between the fabric requirements and postage/insurance requirements.