Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rude quilters

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    The good news: Most of us (middle-aged quilters) are actually nice. Sorry you had to meet the bad apple. Don't let her (or her cronies) spoil anything about your quilting experience.

Blog Entries
    Why would any mature woman think to snicker at a young mother? That doesn't make any sense. I would have been puzzled and offended. Shame on the old biddy bitches for making you feel uncomfortable for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Why would any mature woman think to snicker at a young mother? That doesn't make any sense. I would have been puzzled and offended. Shame on the old biddy bitches for making you feel uncomfortable for no reason.
    Honestly, I'm with you. Whenever I see a young mother trying to deal with a tantrum or bad behavior I think "been there, done that" because we all know our little tykes definitely had their "moments".

You go girl...I always get comments about quilting and that I can't possibly really know what goes into a quilt. I look very young, red hair, freckles, lots of tattoos...when I tell them I hand quilt using size 11 betweens, they usually shut up!

Quote Originally Posted by lindyline
    See if this makes yu feel better.
    DD, DGD(18mths old) and I went to Quilt show, couple of years ago.DGD started to throw a tantrum, in her pusher.
    One lady turned around, lookes at child, glared at mother, then turned to freind and said"this is no place to bring a baby or a pusher.Look at the space it's taking up."
    Quick as a wink DD looked her straight in the eye and replied"Well your a fair unit, you're taking up more space than us, maybe you also should have stayed at home".
    Other ladies around us applauded her.
    Very sheepish embarassed lady apologised, and left quickly.
    I applaud you for having such a quick comeback. Rude people are miserable and the old saying "Misery loves company".

Blog Entries
    This brings up a good question: what DOES the average quilter look like? Well, first of all, none of us are average!!! Why do we have to be stereotyped anyway?! I look like (am!) a cowgirl, but I'm a quilter, too! Bad quilt juju on those snotty, judgemental biddies!

In our Sunday School class today---it was about if you can't say anything good, don't say nothing at all! So, I know I need to remember also. But maybe something happened and she didn't mean to be rude! Probably a long day, and not many sales! It is good to let it pass, and focus on good things!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BRenea
    This brings up a good question: what DOES the average quilter look like? Well, first of all, none of us are average!!! Why do we have to be stereotyped anyway?! I look like (am!) a cowgirl, but I'm a quilter, too! Bad quilt juju on those snotty, judgemental biddies!
    Next time look them in the eye and say
    "We are all like a quilt we come in all sizes & shapes. Not any two are the same. Some young and some old but both are loved." Just remember the judgemental people are want bee's. They do not know how to love or appreciate God perfect quilt.

Blog Entries
    you go girl. i remembr going to one yrs ago in PA wheni was 18 and looked 12 and some woman was trying to explain "what a quilt was" to me, by that time i had made over 10 quilts, all by hand and hand quilted. she tried to tell e proper quilt protocal too!!

Funny, Stewy!

Quote Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    please remember most quilters are not of that ilk. we love what we do and love to share how we do it. I love the idea of a quilt eating sewing machine. wonder if could be special ordered with huge teeth, set in high speed so as to chew um up pretty good.

People like that I don't waste my time on. There are too many people and especially quilters who are nicer than that.

When someone is rude to me, I like to "hit 'em in the head with love." I'd have asked her if she was having a bad day or if she was tired from walking all over the exhibit. If I did it right, she would be ashamed of her original remark. She'd learn, and I'd be a nice person instead of lowering myself to her level.

There is NEVER an excuse for rudeness in my opinion. Your sewing machine remark was quite amusing and the comeback lines provided are great. Hopefully, I, too will remember them when the time comes, and guaranteed it will. Rudeness runs rampant, sadly.

Unfortunately, there are rude people in all walks of life. Most of them are poor miserable souls or know it alls and really are missing out on so much. Somehow it seems worse when it is quilting folks, because 99% are the most wonderful people alive, so loving and giving. You must have run into the quilt police. I guess they do exist after all...

Quote Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
    So sorry you had a bad experience!

I had a similar experience years ago.

May I suggest for therapy, that you make a pincushion in her honor. Something brown. :lol:
    I like this idea!!! I am so sorry they were rude. There is no excuse for that. Most quilters that I have met are more than happy to explain a method if you ask them to but to treat you like that is uncalled for. I enjoy seeing young quiters at shows. It's nice to know that quilting is not a dying art form like so many other things. And yes, I have been at quilt shows with my DD and DGD who was in a stroller. I embroideried a tee shirt for my DGD that said "Quilter in Training" on the front. It was a conversation starter. I like her come back to the large woman.

Blog Entries
    I'm confused at what they would have found to be rude to someone about. I mean, I realize it happened, but they musta been smokin' something, because if they were in their right mind looking at quilts, they would not have had time nor attention to pay to being rude to a person.

Blog Entries
    Ok, I am going to say what My Mom use to say...

If you don't have something nice to say...Shut up :x

Those ladies were not true quilters, they were Wannabees. .

Blog Entries
    Momski,

I hope you find enough love and support on this board to make up for the nasty, rude quilters you encountered today. It's also a good reminder to us to be kinder in our comments in public especially to our younger quilting sisters. I apologize for their stupidity!

Senior Member stitchingmemories's Avatar
    You know I just don't know at what point people get hit upside the head with the "better than thou" stick but it really tick's me off.

A few years ago on another forum (not quilting) I ran across some nasty comments about another person's spelling/vocabulary by some educators. They made some really nasty comments and of course I had to put my two cents in. Being that I had a stroke when I was only 43 and have had my own struggles since, I have a real problem with judgemental people. No one knows a person's heart or personal problems that have lead us to where we are today. It's a hard and sad world we now live in where there is no tolerance for those that are different from ourselves.

I'm so sorry you had had that experience! I fully believe God will handle those folks in his time.

On the other hand, I am so happy to have met so many sweet and caring people on this board!

I'm sorry also that you ran across this type of person. They must be so miserable & have to put others down to make themselves feel superior. Sad. When I run across people like that, I just smile & say that it really is very hard to be me. And I walk away. I'd much rather stay & give them a good sz piece of my mind. But? That would be lowering myself down to their level & I hate to think of what a passerby might think of me. So just smile & say a little pc & go on.

I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or pray. Guess I will do all three. How enlightening, sad, and educational.

Put your head up, laugh about it, and keep on quiltin.

This was sure fun reading! I dont know why people have to be nasty, who has time for all the nastiness?!!!!!!!!! Yeesh!
    And in Wisconsin, too, shame on them, most of us are nice here lol!
    Wish I could have some with you, lol, I look like a farmer with Willie Nelson braids......would have given them something else to be snotty about.........

so sorry it happened but love your response. Good for you girl!!

Don't worry-karma will come back and bite them in the tail end one day-what goes around always comes back around :)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast