Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ruffler foot - any suggestions? >

ruffler foot - any suggestions?

ruffler foot - any suggestions?

Old 11-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by clem55 View Post
now if someone would tell me how to figure and set the thing so I know how much length of fabric I need for the space I want to fill with gathers. I've never been able to figure that out and I'd love using the ruffler more. It should be easy, but my mind just won't do it.LOL
This foot is so fun to use!
I would get a yard of fabric, cut it to a width you like, and ruffle the whole thing on the first setting. Measure and write down the resultant length. Then repeat the process each time using a different setting. Now you know what the yield is for a yard of fabric on each of the settings. Store the paper with the length info with the foot and/or label each ruffled strip & save it for future reference!

You can also use the foot to do a ruched sashing or inner border. Just ruffle both sides of your strip. Adds great texture.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-10-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:50 PM

I love my Bernina ruffler foot! It is easy to use and works well. I had a ruffler foot on a previous machine so I knew how to use one when I got the foot for my Bernina. I'm so glad you posted this. I used to make my granddaughter fancy night gowns with a ruffle. Since you mentioned a ruffler, I realized that fancy night gowns would be good ChristmS gifts for my granddaughter and her 5 foster sisters. I had been trying to come up with ideas of gifts I could make for the girls.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:48 PM

Thank you for your replies.... and reminding me about you tube videos!! What did we do before you tube ha ha