Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ruffler foot - any suggestions? >

ruffler foot - any suggestions?

ruffler foot - any suggestions?

Old 11-10-2013, 11:36 AM

Default ruffler foot - any suggestions?

I like to put ruffles on little girl quilts. I have done it manually with some success. But I have been wondering about a ruffling foot. Does anyone have one of these? I ordered one and so I will be trying it out, but I am a little nervous. What experience have you guys had with a ruffling foot?
Old 11-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

try it on a srcrap piece of fabric, why be nervous, it's only scrap fabric.
used one yrs ago, have 3 now and never put ruffles on things.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:07 PM

I have used one from one of my vintage machines on my Bernina with a low shank attachment. I love it. I have yet to use it in making a skirt or something ruffly for my DGD. They are wonderful attachments. I think, if you are at all like me, once you get over the fear of the unknown, you will love it. Just jump in a try it on a 2" wide piece of scrap about half the WOF. Have fun!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

I love mine when I don't want it too gathered. It is pretty easy really. You set the little arm to how close you want the ruffles, feed the fabric into the foot front and sew. Piece of cake, don't be nervous. You will like this time saver.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:17 PM

now if someone would tell me how to figure and set the thing so I know how much length of fabric I need for the space I want to fill with gathers. I've never been able to figure that out and I'd love using the ruffler more. It should be easy, but my mind just won't do it.LOL
Old 11-10-2013, 12:31 PM

I haven't been using mine for a while now because I don't know frilly little girls as they all grew up.

One of my quilting buddies has 3 granddaughters and now has 2 great granddaughters and she has used it quite liberally and loves it.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

I bought an inexpensive ruffler to use on my Bernina but was not happy with the results. When the time I won an award for one of my quilts and the gift certificate was from a Bernina dealership, I bought the Bernina ruffler and it worked perfectly. Got to get use to the settings with what you want it to do. Good Luck !!
Old 11-10-2013, 01:20 PM

I have one and it works great - and you can make the ruffle and sew it on at the same time - it does take a little bit of dexterity to accomplish both but as far as ruffling - that is pretty easy - just set the ruffles you want (1,6,12) so every stitch is ruffled or every 6th stitch, etc. I think you will like it.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:21 PM

Ruffler feet are just fascinating tools ! My vintage singer has one that came with the machine( back when they gave you all the feet when you bought the machine). I love mine and although I don't use it that often... its great when I need it.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:28 PM

You tube has tons of videos on them. I use one all the time for both ruffles and pleats. You'll be amazed how quickly you get addicted. Debra Justice, http://www.laboursoflove.com/ has a book on them and it is very good.