Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ruler Quilting - questions and discussion! >

Ruler Quilting - questions and discussion!

Ruler Quilting - questions and discussion!

Old 10-08-2018, 01:05 PM

Can you buy any of the Sparrow Quilt Co ruler templates anywhere in the US. Shipping seems quite high from their site in Canada.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
I'm using my Westalee rulers and Westalee ruler foot on my Bernina, and haven't had the same problems that Rob has. I tighten the foot down to its lowest setting and just go. The feed system on a Bernina is different. The feed dogs come up and goes down perpendicular to the needle plate surface. Most other machine feed dogs come up and down at an angle. That might be the difference.
This has nothing to do with the feed system since the feed dogs are not used to move the quilt when doing ruler work. Lowering the foot as low as it can go would in fact cause exactly the problem I'm talking about if you have areas on your quilt where multiple seams come together because that area can be just enough thicker than the rest of your quilt to cause the foot to catch. That's the difficulty I was talking about.

Rob
Old 10-10-2018, 06:56 AM

Thank you for this subject! I am at the stage where I want to try ruler quilting. I have had the Janome FMQ foot for awhile & like it, on my 6600. I bought a ruler foot and am trying to determine which rulers I want.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:44 PM

I have several rulers from different companies each have their pros and cons. With that said for those of you wanting to learn how to do ruler work check out Patsy Thompson’s web site and go to her blog for January 2018. She posted a series of free lessons for that month that we’re great. Yes she has her own line of rulers but taught the basics of using straight and curved rulers. http://Www.patsythompsondesigns.com
Old 10-20-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Before I got my adjustable Janme foot I got so tired of moving the Westalee foot up and down on the shank that I began compensating by doing the following at thick intersections: 1. Take a stitch, manually raise needle (being careful to hold ruler and fabric in place. 2. Raise foot ny using either the knee lift or the hand lever, 3. Move fabric slightly (equivalent of 1stitch length), 4. Lower presser foot, 5. Take a stitch. 6. Repeat 1-6 until you are past the high spot. This was actually quicker than adjusting the Westalee foot each time I encountered a high spot. The Janome foot is much quicker since all you do is turn a thumb screw to raise or lower it.

I believe that both Juki and Bernina now make a ruler foot that has the thumb screw. Worth checking out.

Another option when dealing with a quilt with lots of bulky seams is to use a hopping ruler foot (that’s what is on my Sweet16), but I’m not sure anyone is making them for domestic machines.

Rob
I'm revisiting this thread, because I am now looking for a low shank ruler foot for my Eversewn, and I would like to hear your thoughts.

If you had it to do again Rob, would you buy a hopping ruler foot similar to this one?
https://www.sewvacdirect.com/search-...q=ruler%20foot

or this one:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ing+ruler+foot

Or one with no spring, like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=ruler+foot

I do a lot of free motion....both the whole cloth kind (thread painting for example) and on pieced quilts with lots of seams. Is it overkill to get one of each? I have lots of rulers and a ruler foot for my longarm, but no foot for the domestic...yet. I have learned that either of these low shank feet will fit the Eversewns.

Have any of you used a ruler foot on your Eversewn? What were your experiences?

I would really appreciate any and all input.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:39 AM

As did Rob, I purchased the Westalee ruler foot for my Janome more than a year ago along with a starter set of Westalee rulers. This will be a great thread to follow...it might motivate me to use them more.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by mindless View Post
I'm revisiting this thread, because I am now looking for a low shank ruler foot for my Eversewn, and I would like to hear your thoughts.

If you had it to do again Rob, would you buy a hopping ruler foot similar to this one?
https://www.sewvacdirect.com/search-...q=ruler%20foot

or this one:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ing+ruler+foot

Or one with no spring, like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=ruler+foot

I do a lot of free motion....both the whole cloth kind (thread painting for example) and on pieced quilts with lots of seams. Is it overkill to get one of each? I have lots of rulers and a ruler foot for my longarm, but no foot for the domestic...yet. I have learned that either of these low shank feet will fit the Eversewns.

Have any of you used a ruler foot on your Eversewn? What were your experiences?

I would really appreciate any and all input.
I have a hopping ruler foot on my Sweet16 that I really like. For my Brother PQ1500s (highshank) I have found the Janome floating fmq with the ruler foot attachment works great and is easy to adjust without unscrewing the foot because it has the thumbscrew that can be used to raise and lower it. My low shank domestics can’t use the Janome foot so I generally use the westalee foot with them. I would definitley check into the hopping ruler feet that you’ve pointed out as an alternative to the westalee since the hopping feet will deal better with bulky seams than a floating foot.

Rob
Old 10-21-2018, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I have a hopping ruler foot on my Sweet16 that I really like. For my Brother PQ1500s (highshank) I have found the Janome floating fmq with the ruler foot attachment works great and is easy to adjust without unscrewing the foot because it has the thumbscrew that can be used to raise and lower it. My low shank domestics can’t use the Janome foot so I generally use the westalee foot with them. I would definitley check into the hopping ruler feet that you’ve pointed out as an alternative to the westalee since the hopping feet will deal better with bulky seams than a floating foot.

Rob
Thanks, Rob.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:15 AM

Great info! I'm hoping to try out quilting with rulers but I do not have "newer" machines.

Does anyone have recomondations on which ruler foot will be the best for my older machines (LOL "vintage" machines). The machines that I have that can drop the feed dogs are a Bernina 1630 (my newest at 25 years old), a Singer 201, & 301 (slant needle).
Old 10-28-2018, 03:10 PM

I don't know anything about your Bernina, but isn't the 201 a standard short shank machine? Westalee has a ruler foot for the 301 now. I'm just getting acquainted with mine. Whoever you buy from will ask the make of your machine as part of the order.