Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ruler Storage/Organization >

Ruler Storage/Organization

Ruler Storage/Organization

Old 03-24-2011, 08:32 AM

cj, do you mind sharing what kind of sewing chairs you use in your sewing rooms? Mine is awful! thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by mona z
cj, do you mind sharing what kind of sewing chairs you use in your sewing rooms? Mine is awful! thanks
mona z - looks like she has a couple of very nice, basic office chairs. You can get them at any of the office supply stores, such as Office Max, Office Depot, Staples (to name a few in our area). Or do like I did. I have one too & bought it from someone locally on Craigslist.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 AM

I have my rulers all on a shelf in my closet off the sewing room, but the 2 I use the most are always on the sewing /cutting table. I do like the pegboard idea, but don't have any wall space. I have too many doors/windows, or wall cabinets & needed that last space for the design wall.
cjtinkle - the folding table you have on the left under the window...is it height adjustable? It looks like a tall one, if so can you post back the MFR.? I am looking for one that is height adjustable or cutting table height, like 34-36: high. Love your sewing room! Thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 AM

Another good idea is to watch for small businesses closing who would have a few desks, chairs, office furniture. Many have a little better quality chair for sale, for less than the office supply stores. I found most of mine through Craigslist too.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the craigslist idea. Mainly I'm learning the importance of comfort while quilting. Thanks..mona
Old 03-24-2011, 10:37 PM

Mainly I'm learning the importance of comfort while quilting. Thanks..mona
Mona,
Have you heard of Marguerita McManus on Youtube? She had a first book called "crazy shortcut quilts", well her new book "sew & quilt in comfort" (only pub. Feb. 2011) is about setting up your sewing area with ergonomics in mind (whole body comfort). She discusses chairs, tables heights that fit YOU, flexibility in your sewing room layout, etc. She wrote this due to so many friends with long term repetitive injuries in sewing & quilting. I think it is very worthwhile. She is also famous for her "how to build a cheap quilting table" video. You should have a look. Best wishes, Cathy
Old 03-26-2011, 05:43 PM

Oh Cathy..a new friend...and one with a good heart. Thanks for reading between the lines in my questions abt comfort. I'm 63 (altho my sweet daughter says I don't act like it) and I find I want comfortable shoes, comfortable kickin' around clothes and a comfortable chair. I will get that book. Thanks again. Mona
Old 03-27-2011, 03:22 AM

Thanks for reading between the lines in my questions abt comfort. I'm 63...I find I want comfortable shoes, comfortable kickin' around clothes and a comfortable chair. I will get that book.
Hi Mona,
I am in the same age bracket & would have liked to know these things years ago. I find I just can't tolerate long hours in one position unless it's with good posture. I am in total agreement about the shoes, clothes, & chair!!! My kids tell me just the opposite about my age (that I seem older) LOL! The "Sew & Quilt in comfort" is @ Amazon, not sure whether it's in the local stores yet, as it's so new. You can view her Youtube video about the cheap quilting table by typing in her name. Best wishes & here's to comfort in sewing!
Old 03-27-2011, 03:37 AM

I use those wooden ones made with slat like things for holding my rulers (sorry can't remember the name)....they just sit on a shelf or table depending on the size of my rulers. Used to be they were expensive but now you can find them at reasonable prices. Depending on the size/s you purchase you can get a lot of rulers on one of them. I sort them by sizes and think I have four of them. I don't have much wall space because it is all taken up with shelves and pictures of vintage sewing items.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:23 AM

It's my grandkids that ask me why my skin is more wrinkled than grandpa's. I tell them he weighs more and I worry more. Lol. Thanks for the help & kinship. Mona