Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ruler

Power Poster

Ruler

Look what my husband gifted me with today! He went and had a 1 -1/2 X 10 inch ruler cut out of 1/4 inch plexi glass for Fmqing. As you an see by this quick sample how nice and straight my lines are with the FMQ foot running along the ruler. Yipppeeee!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    wow, never thught of that! What a great idea, gotta get one. Thanks Tartan's hubby
    fatquarters

What a sweetheart! Those are nice looking stitches! :-)
    Laura

Where did he have it cut. I'm looking for a place to cut plexiglass.

Blog Entries
    What a great guy, such a good idea.

Blog Entries
    Great idea.My FMQ looks more like scribbling while wearing a mask !
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt View Post
    Where did he have it cut. I'm looking for a place to cut plexiglass.
    When we traveled in an RV,my husband had a couple squares cut for me at a glass/window business.Does Lowes sell/cut plexiglass?
    Pat

Banned
    My husband makes these for me at work!

Quote Originally Posted by plainpat View Post
    When we traveled in an RV,my husband had a couple squares cut for me at a glass/window business.Does Lowes sell/cut plexiglass?

Yes they do, as does Home Depot.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Blog Entries
    Whatever you do, make sure that the plexiglass, or acrylic is thicker than the highest point your hopping foot goes while sewing. 1/4" should be good, but make sure there is no way at all that it can slip under the foot.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    so, I'm curious, this is something I need for a straight line, are there other shapes that help with FMQ. I am new to FMQ and am just trying to learn, so any tricks are great. I know I need one of these!
    fatquarters

Awesome hubby!! I use them on my longarm and they are great.

That would be called a straight edge, not a ruler, since there are no markings.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

A glass shop....I hear some of the box stores do to. This works on L/A too!

Power Poster
    [QUOTE=fatquarters;5925444]so, I'm curious, this is something I need for a straight line, are there other shapes that help with FMQ. I am new to FMQ and am just trying to learn, so any tricks are great. I know I need one of these![/QUOTEI find doing straight lines when doing FMQ very difficult. I can do most everything else fine but sometimes I want to outline a shape or block with a line of quilting and I wanted something I could see through and stitch along with the FMQ foot. You can buy thick rulers for ruler work on long arm machines but I wanted something for my regular sewing machine. They sell all kinds of shapes for long arm machines. I called it a ruler even though it has no numbers because the long armers call their straight edge work "ruler work".

I don't understand the process - do you guide the fabric with your right hand while holding the ruler (or straight edge) down with your left? Do you clamp it to the fabric? Do you clamp it to the machine somehow?
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Same question as Artsy...

Quote Originally Posted by plainpat View Post
    I have had some squares cut at Lowes.They did a great job.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Power Poster
    The reason I wanted it just 1-1/2 inches wide and 10 inches long was so it would fit nicely on the acrylic bed of my machine. Hopefully this picture will show you how it works. I put on my Machingers gloves for good grip and traction and because the ruler is narrow, I can have most of my hand on the quilt while still being able to hold the ruler. I just FMQ along it until I reach my thumb and then reposition my hands and ruler.
    Attached Images Attached Images

LOL- I get it now...the first pic (I know you SAID it was only 1.5")...made it look larger-than-life, so I couldn't imagine that that "big" thing was so easy to maneuver. Thanks for the second pic

how do you use it without the ruler slipping?

Power Poster
    I posted a picture of me using it on page 2 and I don't have any problems holding it with one hand against the quilt as I stitch along. You could apply the sandpaper dots that they make for the rotary rulers to the back if you wanted more grip.

Banned
    Tartan, what a wonderful idea. I think I am going to borrow this and send the hubby to the workshop! Thank you!

I use plexiglass. I went to Lowe's and grabbed the largest sheet they had. Its cost was just under $20 at the time. I had premapped how I wanted it cut and the cutter did an excellent job cutting 10, 10 1/2, 11, 11 1/2, 12, and 12 1/2 inch squares for me. She also cut one of the left over pieces in half (ended up about 2 x 18) and when I got home, I glued the two "exacts" together. That one I use with my long arm. The squares I use to "square up". I also got the drill out and put a good sized hole for hanging and took a permanent marker and drew lines x and + on each one. It is so easy to align. I got a lot of straight edges out of the sheet! I actually have thought about going back and creating a 6, 6 1/2, 7,etc to 10 to finish the set.

Cutting Plexiglass

Home Depot and Lowes will cut plexiglass, and so should any glass or window store near you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast