Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rulers for domestic machines >

rulers for domestic machines

rulers for domestic machines

Old 03-25-2018, 02:40 AM

I started with the Westalee basic ruler pack with 6 different rulers. With these you can do a lot of different designs. The company has you tube videos on how to use them.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:19 AM

I went to the Quilting and Sewing Expo in Lakeland Florida last week and watched a demo on these rulers. It was fascinating but she was using a 24" x 24" quilt sandwich on a domestic sewing machine. I wonder if it would be so easy on a full sized quilt!
Old 03-25-2018, 08:58 AM

I have been taking a ruler of the month class at my LQS here in Snohomish which has been very helpful. As others have said there is a learning curve to using rulers and practice is a must. As quiltedsunshine noted it is best to stop and check alignment often as it is easy to wander. Our class is currently working with border rulers and how to turn a corner on the border. I love these rulers and am totally addicted to them. The videos on YouTube are a plus but if you get an opportunity to see these in action at quilt show or shop you will be amazed.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

It takes practice to use rulers but if you are willing to do the work you may love rulers. Angela Walters videos are great for helping with the technique.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:37 PM

Teryl Loy has some new videos out on machine quilting with a domestic machine. She also has templates for domestic and long arms.

http://www.terylloy.com/Quilting-Videos.html
Old 03-26-2018, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I am anxious for replies to this thread. I have so many questions. I think I want to do it and would wait to buy the ruler foot when it goes on 25% off sale. But, I have questions about the rulers and their cost. So, I will be watching for information from others who have already moved forward.
Bernina has its own system. I purchased a whole training program which included the foot, a basic ruler set and 7 classes. The link to this Australian shop is https://www.punchwithjudy.com.au/sho...sses-Westalee/. I don’t think I can put prices here, but with the AUD to US exchange rate, the foot, the rulers and all the classes are a very good deal. Judy’s customer service is outstanding even across the pond.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
There is a learning curved to ruler work, but now that I've done some, I don't really find it harder than free motion quilting.

I really like the Clarity ruler foot; it's available on Patsy Thompson's website, or direct from Accents in Design (http://www.accentsindesign.com). I find the clear foot much easier to work with than the metal one from Westalee. I also like the handles on their rulers; my fingers tend to cramp from holding flat rulers in place, but the handles prevent that. I would recommend these for anyone starting out.
I bought a clarity ruler for my old Pfaff and the westalee one for my Juki, from Stitch in the Ditch in Kelowna. The clarity one was about half the price and works just as well. It is plastic though.