Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: rulers for domestic machines

rulers for domestic machines

Have you used these and if so, how difficult or easy are they to use? What would be the best ones to purchase to begin with?
    An old saying that nothing is perfect in God's World justifies any mistake I make in my quilts, some on purpose and some by accident..

I am anxious for replies to this thread. I have so many questions. I think I want to do it and would wait to buy the ruler foot when it goes on 25% off sale. But, I have questions about the rulers and their cost. So, I will be watching for information from others who have already moved forward.

I have the rulers and the foot but I haven't played with them much. I know for me it's going to take a lot of practice. I've never seen them 25% off but I'm sure they will be sometime.
    So much fabric, so little time.

Blog Entries
    Check out Angel Walters’ rulers. She made them with domestic machines in mind.

Power Poster
    I gifted myself with the Bernina rulers and ruler foot last Christmas. I really like them and use them with my Machinger gloves and am having good results. The Westalee company has ruler feet and different rulers as well. I followed along with Gina Perkes on The Quilt Show for tutorials on her rulers. Amy from www.freemotionquiltingadventures.blogspot.com/ has YouTube videos on using them as well as Craftsy classes. Angela Walters has a quilt a long on YouTube right now on using rulers.

As Tartan said, I would also recommend Amy's freemotionquiltingadventures.com. She has so much info about the rulers, ruler feet and good demonstrations, in addition to FMQ info. She is very laid back and I like her approach. I have purchased two of her ruler quilting classes on Craftsy and also recommend those.

I have really enjoyed working with the Westalee Templates on my Bernina and on my HandiQuilter. I'm also in the HQ ruler of the month club. If you own a Bernina, the Bernina foot is soooo much better than the Westalee foot. Right now, I have the Westalee foot with the #77 adapter, but it doesn't have enough clearance for my HQ rulers.

There's a learning curve, so if you don't get it with the first try, keep practicing. I teach the Home Machine Quilting Club, where we learn ruler work, walking foot and free motion quilting. It's important to have a good grip on the back of the ruler. I like Handi Grip the best. Another important thing to learn with the rulers, is to stop half-way through a movement, check if you're going to end up in the right place, then reposition the ruler if necessary. Machingers are awesome, and really help with controlling the fabric.

The stitching is a little hard to see, but here's the sample I made for the shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Annette in Utah

Quote Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
    I am anxious for replies to this thread. I have so many questions. I think I want to do it and would wait to buy the ruler foot when it goes on 25% off sale. But, I have questions about the rulers and their cost. So, I will be watching for information from others who have already moved forward.
    I think it may be on sale at nancysnotions.com, someone posted it was a few days ago not sure if it still is. I haven't found them hard to use, just a different feel. I agree with all the resources listed also check out https://blog.patsythompsondesigns.com/
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

There is a learning curved to ruler work, but now that I've done some, I don't really find it harder than free motion quilting.

I really like the Clarity ruler foot; it's available on Patsy Thompson's website, or direct from Accents in Design (http://www.accentsindesign.com). I find the clear foot much easier to work with than the metal one from Westalee. I also like the handles on their rulers; my fingers tend to cramp from holding flat rulers in place, but the handles prevent that. I would recommend these for anyone starting out.

For straight line work, I found the Line Tamer (just google it) to be excellent.

I started with the Westalee basic ruler pack with 6 different rulers. With these you can do a lot of different designs. The company has you tube videos on how to use them.

Blog Entries
    I went to the Quilting and Sewing Expo in Lakeland Florida last week and watched a demo on these rulers. It was fascinating but she was using a 24" x 24" quilt sandwich on a domestic sewing machine. I wonder if it would be so easy on a full sized quilt!

I have been taking a ruler of the month class at my LQS here in Snohomish which has been very helpful. As others have said there is a learning curve to using rulers and practice is a must. As quiltedsunshine noted it is best to stop and check alignment often as it is easy to wander. Our class is currently working with border rulers and how to turn a corner on the border. I love these rulers and am totally addicted to them. The videos on YouTube are a plus but if you get an opportunity to see these in action at quilt show or shop you will be amazed.

Blog Entries
    It takes practice to use rulers but if you are willing to do the work you may love rulers. Angela Walters videos are great for helping with the technique.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Teryl Loy has some new videos out on machine quilting with a domestic machine. She also has templates for domestic and long arms.

http://www.terylloy.com/Quilting-Videos.html

Quote Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
    Bernina has its own system. I purchased a whole training program which included the foot, a basic ruler set and 7 classes. The link to this Australian shop is https://www.punchwithjudy.com.au/sho...sses-Westalee/. I donít think I can put prices here, but with the AUD to US exchange rate, the foot, the rulers and all the classes are a very good deal. Judyís customer service is outstanding even across the pond.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
    There is a learning curved to ruler work, but now that I've done some, I don't really find it harder than free motion quilting.

I really like the Clarity ruler foot; it's available on Patsy Thompson's website, or direct from Accents in Design (http://www.accentsindesign.com). I find the clear foot much easier to work with than the metal one from Westalee. I also like the handles on their rulers; my fingers tend to cramp from holding flat rulers in place, but the handles prevent that. I would recommend these for anyone starting out.
    I bought a clarity ruler for my old Pfaff and the westalee one for my Juki, from Stitch in the Ditch in Kelowna. The clarity one was about half the price and works just as well. It is plastic though.