Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rules for USPS 1st Class Mail being inforced >

Rules for USPS 1st Class Mail being inforced

Rules for USPS 1st Class Mail being inforced

Old 03-24-2011, 05:55 PM

Donnajean
I didn't take your post as a complaint at all.
It was indeed an informative message.
Don't be sad if someone can't read it as it's written.
It is like selective hearing.
Thanks.

[quote=donnajean]I posted what I thought was an informative post regarding post office rules for mailing 1st Class mail as I know some mail FQ's or blocks. I was not complaining about the post office. It is sad that my post has prompted some negative replys & I apologize for starting the topic.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-94508-3.htm

Here's is the link to our previous conversation on this topic...(I think)...page 3 has the link to the Handy Dandy guide that was mentioned. Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Originally Posted by scrapngmom
They aren't trying to gouge us, they are just trying to break even
I agree. And it's still cheaper than UPS of FedEx if you don't need overnight. If we want to have a postal service we should be willing to follow their rules regarding packaging & rates.
I think many tend to forget this.
The postal service has bills to pay too.
I know they have bills to pay, however, when I go into the PO at 3:30 PM and have to wait for 30 mins to get to the clerk, because it is a 2 station office and 1 of them went to lunch - PO closes at 4:30PM & they started at 7:30AM - I get a little upset.
Are PO people are good, it's the subs that come in that cause the problems.
So they are not allowed to get sick, have lunch breaks etc.? A little patience does wonders. They do not always get to determine when they get breaks. Maybe go to the post office sooner and perhaps have less of a wait?
Just like any business, there are slow times, and busy times.
Patience.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:33 AM

I thought it was already more if it was over 1/4". I use stamps.com and on the letters option it says 'up to 1/4" thick. if bigger select large envelopes' for the postage rate. I'm sure it's been this way for at least a year, if not more.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by gale
I thought it was already more if it was over 1/4". I use stamps.com and on the letters option it says 'up to 1/4" thick. if bigger select large envelopes' for the postage rate. I'm sure it's been this way for at least a year, if not more.
You are right Gale. I've seen the 1/4" slot devices at a number of post offices. I think the difference is that before they would only put it through if it was really obvious to prevent arguments from customers and it seems that now they are checking each and every at some places. Belt tightening I guess.

BTW, the little post office I use has wonderful people. Even if I have to stand in line, the two clerks that work there acknowledge the fact that you are waiting while not rushing the older person who is having trouble navigating all the options for posting something or patiently explaining how to fill out a customs form to someone who has never done one.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 PM

Our local PO isn't great but the other one (which strangely is closer, but not our "official PO" is. But it scares me. The lady there is so convinced I know so much about postage she doesn't even check or weigh my packages anymore. She just tells dh she trusts that I have the right postage on it. I sure hope I don't mess up and end up getting a pkg back, or worse, having a recipient have to pay postage due.