Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
RV Quilting >

RV Quilting

RV Quilting

Old 01-20-2015, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by littlelambseativy View Post
My hubby and I are about to become RVers! Do other RV quilters have any helpful tips, such as use of space, storing supplies,etc? Thanks!

I I pack my machine in the closet. The rest gets stored under the bed. I fill it up with cutting may, material, thread,and all my notions. I've made several quilts. I see on a sew easy table. I store that behind the sofa. I iron on a small ironing board on the counter. It's fun. I've even made queen size wuilts. And of course I pack more new fabric along the way. I try and visit all the quilt shops wherever we visit. Lol. Enjoy!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:01 PM

Okay, I'm envious"!! There are a lot of gals on here that live in RVs that have come up with all kinds of ingenius ways to utilize their work space for such a small area. Becky's Crafts (QB member) could probably give you all kinds of good advice.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:16 PM

If you head over to rv.net and join the forums there you will find other rvers who quilt and sew on the road.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:01 AM

One of he hints I found most helpful is a Plano fishing tackle box...mine opens up on both side so I store thread and some sic on the bottom side. On the top I have various scissors, seam ripper, bobbins,needles, glue stick, rotary cutters etc etc. it really helps keep things together. I never take the stuff out so I work out of it at home too. My RV has a shelf in the upper bedroom area so I often sew there. I have a 24 x 30? Inch portable board that is bought from Joann's and use that over the sink and cut on the table. Fortunately our fifth wheel has excellent storage so that doesn't seem to be a problem. Have fun!
Old 01-21-2015, 08:58 AM

Smile RV Qulting

Thank you ALL for the ideas! Maybe I'll run into some of you at an RV Park sometime!

Last edited by littlelambseativy; 01-21-2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: missed word
Old 01-21-2015, 09:42 AM

I've heard of people that take a big tent and set up in it sometimes...especially if they are going to be in the same place for a while and they allow tents to stay up.

We only go for a few days at a time so I usually take along crocheting or knitting. But do have a machine I can take for longer trips if and when we ever get to take 1!
Old 01-22-2015, 03:59 AM

Oh, wow! Color me green! That sounds like so much fun. I hope all you RVers have wonderful and safe trips, wherever you may roam!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

we just bought a pull along camper and I have identified a spot for my featherweight and some fabric
Old 01-22-2015, 04:55 AM

I am a RV quilter, too! My favorite thing is my small machine and a June Taylor Pressing mat. I mounted a cutting mat on the backside. so I cut on top, flip it over and press on the other side. I also try to plan precuts for vacation/camping time. I have an old leather computer rolling bag with lots of pocket and individual removable zippered pockets and can put all my tool, sewing box and precuts and then I am ready to go.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:06 AM

we are full time RVers. right now we are on our site in central fla. I have three sewing machines I carry. two are in the rv and the third is under the MH in storage. I have totes I keep my fabric in and storage bags for my stash. I use the vacuum bags for that. I cut fabric at the club house, outside on our table and inside the rig on top of the stove(it has a cover, and just the right height) when it comes to sandwiching the quilts I have to go to a club house wherever we are and use there tables. so far no problems found some great friends who also quilt and many campgrounds have quilt get togethers. under the bed storage works great for lots of fabric enjoy!!!