Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
?s on how to stop the dye from running in fabric strips >

?s on how to stop the dye from running in fabric strips

?s on how to stop the dye from running in fabric strips

Old 03-07-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Syntropol can be effective in removing the excess dye, but not always a final cure to a serious bleeding problem. Retayne is a better choice for setting the un set dye. But do note once treated with Retayne only wash in cold water or you risk the removal of the Retayne and the fabrics will bleed again. I have used both products prior to cutting on hand dyed fabric . I found that some hand dyes the sythropol removed so much the fabric was dull in appearance, but with Retayne I had more color retention.
Yes it is much better to deal with a bleeder/runner prior to cutting or construction as once cut or assembled there are fewer options.
I have used Retayne for over 10 years and have never had a problem with fabrics running after treating with Retayne. I treat with hot water, then wash the completed quilt as I would any other cotton fabrics. I had never heard that it would wash the Retayne out of the fabric as it is washed out when it is run through the final rinse in the cycle. I usually don't wash in hot water after the initial hot water treatment as a warm wash and cool rinse has been sufficient in getting my quilts clean. I was told I could wash however I wanted, either in hot or warm water after the initial treatment. You know what they say "Ignorance is bliss or I've just been lucky".
OzarksGma
Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 AM

I read an article written by a quilter who experimented with different ways to set fabric dyes. She found that even using Synthrapol and hot water did not always set the dyes. The method that worked 100% of the time was to soak the fabric in a lot of water for 12 hours. The fabrics seem to need time to release the dyes.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:04 PM

I have never used any of the products but I remember a thread on here one time time that someone had purchased some pre-cuts and hand washed them carefully in the sink and then placed them in a salad spinner to remove the excess water. They came out with very minimal fraying and weren't distorted at all.