Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Safety Pins storage >

Safety Pins storage

Safety Pins storage

Old 09-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Never heard of the covers, will have to check it out.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Banned

I store them open in a old candy tin(swiss colony). They are the curved ones for basting. Love them.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:06 PM

I leave mine open in Ziplock storage containers.

If you close them, it's twice the work to use them to pin a quilt. You have to open them just to pin them, then you have to close them again when you put them away. I'm much too lazy for that. ;)

Yes, they tangle a bit if you store them opened, but if you grab a little tangle of them and "jingle" them over the surface of the quilt you're basting, they fall individually and are no trouble at all. :)
Old 09-18-2011, 02:09 PM

I had no clue these were available (I must be behind the times). Isn't this a pain to put on each pin individually. Also, once you put the cover on them, do you have to put them on again after each use or do you keep the covers on all the time and just close/open them when ready to use.
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Uh Oh, sounds like your pins are naked! I buy these:http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=1621 they fit bent ones too.

The don't get tangled left open! DGD pinned about a hundred on a tee shirt making a pattern with the colors for spirit day at school. She won most creative during spirit day. The sure make safety pins easier to use.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
I leave mine open in Ziplock storage containers.

If you close them, it's twice the work to use them to pin a quilt. You have to open them just to pin them, then you have to close them again when you put them away. I'm much too lazy for that. ;)

Yes, they tangle a bit if you store them opened, but if you grab a little tangle of them and "jingle" them over the surface of the quilt you're basting, they fall individually and are no trouble at all. :)
This is exactly what I do. Works well for me.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:11 PM

I just heard a tip to store them opened on a stitch holder that is used in knitting. It looks a little bit like a huge kilt pin. Run the stitch holder through the hole at the end of the safety pins. I will probably try that as soon as I get a stitch holder. Straight pins are in several different pin cushions placed at each machine and ironing board.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sidmona
I store mine open in a rubbermaid square keeper. They don't get that badly jumbled and it's easier to use them when I'm basting. I guess they don't get that jumbled b/c I have the safety pin grip covers on the pins.
I have ALWAYS stored them in a TALL square Rubbermaid container OPENED !! I probably have 750 to 900 pins, I never had time to close up and then open them up again........ :lol:
Old 09-18-2011, 02:40 PM

I keep mine in the throwaway container they came in. Always closed. That container is in a sewing basket.

When it's time to use them, I dump them into a finger bowl. I also use finger bowls when putting furniture together. Never lose a bolt or washer.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by graciemae
I had no clue these were available (I must be behind the times). Isn't this a pain to put on each pin individually. Also, once you put the cover on them, do you have to put them on again after each use or do you keep the covers on all the time and just close/open them when ready to use.
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Uh Oh, sounds like your pins are naked! I buy these:http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=1621 they fit bent ones too.

The don't get tangled left open! DGD pinned about a hundred on a tee shirt making a pattern with the colors for spirit day at school. She won most creative during spirit day. The sure make safety pins easier to use.
They are easy to put on the pin. I used a pair of needlenose pliers to snap them in place as my hands don't have much umph to them. They stay on all the time and it's much easier to pick one up and super easy to close while holding the pin. It didn't take long at all putting the covers on all my basting pins. Good job for DH or bored child.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:45 PM

Got this idea from my DSIL and it works beautifully. I take one safety pin and pile as many as I can on it and close it. I have did this to all my basting safety pins and it's great....no tangles and no mess!