Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety Pins storage

What do you store your safety pins in? Do you store them open or closed? If I leave them open it is a huge tangled mess but I hate having to close each and every one (I'm lazy). I like to use both safety pins and straight pins when basting a quilt.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by graciemae
    What do you store your safety pins in? Do you store them open or closed? If I leave them open it is a huge tangled mess but I hate having to close each and every one (I'm lazy). I like to use both safety pins and straight pins when basting a quilt.
    I close my safety pins when not in use.

I'd be a bloody mess if I used straight pins.

Blog Entries
    I store mine closed and keep them in an empty plastic gum container (Orbit). Remove the label from the side of the container and the sticker from the top. The top screws on and off, and there is a tab that opens and you can shake out what you need.

I have 3 boxes tiered in sizes. The have pics of sewing machines on them. They stand one on top of the other. Safety pins are open and in the top (smallest) box. They all have the plastic covers on them to make them easier to use. Once I open them to remove from a quilt sandwich I see no need to close them only to open them to use them later.
    I did process improvements at work and guess that stays with me. Ha! Really they don't stick me and maybe that is because I have the plastic covers on them.
    Just a matter of choice.

Blog Entries
    I always close mine-for my saftey- and store them in a tupperware type container.

I store mine open in a rubbermaid square keeper. They don't get that badly jumbled and it's easier to use them when I'm basting. I guess they don't get that jumbled b/c I have the safety pin grip covers on the pins.

I store mine closed in a old glass bale jar.

I throw them all in a mason jar, open, then dump them all out on the floor when it's time to pin again and shake them out to untangle them. Probably not the best technique...

That's how I do them, Rebecca!! Works for me.

Blog Entries
    I keep all my safety pins in an old Chinese soup container.
    My straight pins are just stuck in my pincushion.

I keep all mine closed in a plastic container.

Leave mine open. Store in a empty biscuit tin.

I have one of those smallish stacked containers. One has my bent safety pins (open) one has straight safety pins of various sizes (closed) and one has the hair clips that I use to hold the binding until the glue sets.

Blog Entries
    Uh Oh, sounds like your pins are naked! I buy these:http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=1621 they fit bent ones too.

The don't get tangled left open! DGD pinned about a hundred on a tee shirt making a pattern with the colors for spirit day at school. She won most creative during spirit day. The sure make safety pins easier to use.

Blog Entries
    Same here
    Quote Originally Posted by zennia
    I always close mine-for my saftey- and store them in a tupperware type container.

QM
    I use a mechanic's magnetic parts tray to store my (open) safety pins. actually, I use 2. One is about 3" in diameter and one is 6" (From Harbor Freight) There are occassional tangles, but not serious ones. I grab one pin from the top. Usually several come with it. I shake it and have a sprinkling of pins ready to use. Generally in a twin quilt I have one or 2 'bonded' pairs. If DH is handy, I give them to him to untangle, as it makes him feel useful, although I can do it myself.

Blog Entries
    Funny story about my straight pins. DGD about age 5 was busy and quiet sitting at my cutting table. I was sewing at the machine. I didn't really notice what she was doing until the next day. She had pushed straight pins all the way in a big tomato pin cushion, completely filling it up. I have a silver metal covered tomato pin
    cushion. :lol: I kept the pins in it and smile every time I look at it.

I stick mine in a block of styrofoam from an electronics item. Free and pins are ready to use.

I do the same as Rebecca; only keep them in the box they came in open and dump them on the quilt I'm getting ready to pin . Not to many pokes; just shake them around.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
    I throw them all in a mason jar, open, then dump them all out on the floor when it's time to pin again and shake them out to untangle them. Probably not the best technique...
    Same here...works for me, too.

Never heard of the covers, will have to check it out.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I store them open in a old candy tin(swiss colony). They are the curved ones for basting. Love them.

I leave mine open in Ziplock storage containers.

If you close them, it's twice the work to use them to pin a quilt. You have to open them just to pin them, then you have to close them again when you put them away. I'm much too lazy for that. ;)

Yes, they tangle a bit if you store them opened, but if you grab a little tangle of them and "jingle" them over the surface of the quilt you're basting, they fall individually and are no trouble at all. :)

I had no clue these were available (I must be behind the times). Isn't this a pain to put on each pin individually. Also, once you put the cover on them, do you have to put them on again after each use or do you keep the covers on all the time and just close/open them when ready to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Uh Oh, sounds like your pins are naked! I buy these:http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=1621 they fit bent ones too.

The don't get tangled left open! DGD pinned about a hundred on a tee shirt making a pattern with the colors for spirit day at school. She won most creative during spirit day. The sure make safety pins easier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    I leave mine open in Ziplock storage containers.

If you close them, it's twice the work to use them to pin a quilt. You have to open them just to pin them, then you have to close them again when you put them away. I'm much too lazy for that. ;)

Yes, they tangle a bit if you store them opened, but if you grab a little tangle of them and "jingle" them over the surface of the quilt you're basting, they fall individually and are no trouble at all. :)
    This is exactly what I do. Works well for me.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast