Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sample Spree?

Power Poster

Sample Spree?

I just watched the video of Quilt Market Sample Spree in May at www.thequiltshow.com It looks like soooo much fun! Has anyone actually been there?

One of my running buddies was at the convention center that day. His daughter was in a dance competition, which was also being held there. He said Sampe Spree was a zoo, albeit he only saw the mob of people in the hallway. It was funny to hear his perspective of it.

How do you find that on the quiltshow? I couldn't find the spree on it. Thanks.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Sample spree is for wholesale buyers-shops. It is held at The International Quilt Market wholesale trade show. It is not open to the general public. I have been to sample spree in the past. Vendors offer misc items for sale to the shops. The Moda table was packed! I never got close to it. It sold out fast! Overall, I purchased a wool applique kit, an Aurifil thread kit and some misc patterns. It IS a packed zoo and the attendees wait in long lines just to attend. You buy a ticket for admittance and there are limited tickets available, if I recall. I did this once. I have no desire to do it again. Too much commotion. IMHO.

I did not find the video either but I have been there....done that.
    sandy
    Last edited by Sandygirl; 05-19-2015 at 02:35 AM.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    Sample spree is for wholesale buyers-shops. It is held at The International Quilt Market wholesale trade show. It is not open to the general public. I have been to sample spree in the past. Vendors offer misc items for sale to the shops. The Moda table was packed! I never got close to it. It sold out fast! Overall, I purchased a wool applique kit, an Aurifil thread kit and some misc patterns. It IS a packed zoo and the attendees wait in long lines just to attend. You buy a ticket for admittance and there are limited tickets available, if I recall. I did this once. I have no desire to do it again. Too much commotion. IMHO.

I did not find the video either but I have been there....done that.
    sandy
    Me too years ago.
    Debbie
    Machine It

Been there, done that. Yes, you have to be in the business with credentials to go to Quilt Market. It like a feeding frenzy with people just grabbing what they can get. Not my type of fun since many sellers give out samples of their items in their booths. I am lucky that I went before the restrictions on baggage in planes. I brought home carry about 5 bags of Hobbs batting onto the plane!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    I found the video of Sample Spree yesterday on the Daily Blog page. I feel better now knowing I can't attend even if I could get there.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Is it okay to link to the video? Hope so but if not someone will delete it for me.
    http://thequiltshow.com/daily-blog/1...f24d64b567d860

If you watch the interviews, many people stood in line for 2 - 3 hours in order to participate in the Sample Spree. Yikes! Not sure I would want to do that either. Some of the tables looked really crowded and some not so much. Apparently the buyers get some really great deals on the items they buy .... I believe they buy the items at "cost" so that is quite a deal. Of course they do have to pay in "time" spent in line so ....

Quote Originally Posted by KLO View Post
    Is it okay to link to the video? Hope so but if not someone will delete it for me.
    http://thequiltshow.com/daily-blog/1...f24d64b567d860

If you watch the interviews, many people stood in line for 2 - 3 hours in order to participate in the Sample Spree. Yikes! Not sure I would want to do that either. Some of the tables looked really crowded and some not so much. Apparently the buyers get some really great deals on the items they buy .... I believe they buy the items at "cost" so that is quite a deal. Of course they do have to pay in "time" spent in line so ....
    Since these are shop owners they actually already get their orders for shops at cost (wholesale) I think the big deal about this is that the manufacturers have limited supply of the new lines they are showing - a lot of which will not be available for shops to receive until Aug/Sept/Oct, etc. This way they can get a FQ pack and make samples for the store and take advance orders or generate interest before they even get the fabric in the shop OR they can also keep it for their personal use/stash

Tartan, I think it would be so much fun! Sure it was crowded and long wait but for something like that, well worth it. I would go in a heartbeat!!

You PAY to attend. I talked to a shop that went. She was a little aggravated to learn that she paid $3 OVER the wholesale cost of one item as she later learned when she went to the booth during Market. not saying that this is the norm but it was one incident for her. She was not happy.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Thank you for the link to the video I got it and it was interesting, made me tired just thinking of standing in line for 3 hours!
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington