Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sandwich on bed >

sandwich on bed

sandwich on bed

Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 PM

No - I'm not eating in my bedroom.

I've sandwiched quilts on the floor - with painter's tape to hold it down.

I've also sandwiched on tables with clamps - I usually do this with a friend at our church building or school - we're both teachers.

Recently I've found that sandwiching on a double bed is working great.

The comforter on the bed seems to grip the quilt and keep it from scootching around. The curvature of the edge of the bed seems to pull at the quilt. The height is good - this is an OLD bed and is higher than today's style.

I was taught to pin from the center of the quilt, but I'm now pinning from the bottom of the bed - the edge of the quilt. I stand at the foot of the bed - put in a row or two of pins - lifting the quilt slightly to prevent pinning the quilt to the bed spread - then roll the pinned area and gently pull the unpinned part of the quilt towards the foot of the bed. This way I'm not leaning over quite so far (I'm VERY short!). I end up with a rolled bundle that I unroll halfway to start the first quilting line on my machine - scallop near a ditch is my usual method - that or cross hatching - very simple things.

I've also started pinning them upside down - the backing on top. For some reason I don't have wrinkles this way. As I machine quilt from the top I have to reach under to remove the pins, but that's not been a big deal.

I also spray starch the dickens out of both the top and backing before I start.

Does anyone else do it this way? A few of you have mentioned sandwiching on the bed - is this how you do it? Is there something you put on there to keep from pinning the quilt to the spread? Are there refinements that would make this better? I was avoiding finishing quilts and now find that I don't mind doing them.

This works for crib to lap size. Generous lap size and larger I get a friend and clamp to tables.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-217376.jpe  
Old 06-26-2011, 09:47 PM

That is a smart way to do it. I did that before but I removed all my bedding and sheets before I started pinning the quilt then there was no chance of pinning anything to the quilt I am working on. :) That is a pretty quilt to by the way. :)
Old 06-26-2011, 09:55 PM

i'll give that a try
Old 06-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Airwick156
That is a smart way to do it. I did that before but I removed all my bedding and sheets before I started pinning the quilt then there was no chance of pinning anything to the quilt I am working on. :) That is a pretty quilt to by the way. :)
Yep...I strip the bed and sandwich on the bare mattress.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:29 AM

Have to try it
Old 06-27-2011, 02:00 AM

I also have been using the bed. However, I use a basting spray. The one I really like is June Taylor. I get it at Michael's. I am currently hand quilting on a lap hoop and did not pin at all. There has been absolutely no slipping of the layers. It quilts nicely.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:42 AM

I may have to give that a try. Just not sure if I want to spray in the bedroom or on the mattress. I do mine on the kitchen floor and boy that does a number on my knees. I was going to try basting on the wall but was unsure about how it would come out. I do spray baste with 505 or the June Taylor can. I have never had any issues it stays together. I do not pin.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:10 AM

I do this on a queen size bed...I am glad you posted this though, because I plan on changing the queen bed, to an antique 3/4 bed. I use a full mattress on it but it is very tall too.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:59 PM

Slide your cutting mat under the sandwiched quilt. You can slide along just by feeling for it as you go. No worrying about catching any bedspreds or blankets as you pin. I use this method when pining on a carpeted floor.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:15 AM

Certainly easier on the back & the knees. :)