Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sandwiching and pinning suggestions >

Sandwiching and pinning suggestions

Sandwiching and pinning suggestions

Old 04-01-2012, 06:30 PM

My LQS is close to home and will let me come in if there's no class going on. Always call first though, someone else may be using the tables. :-)
Old 04-01-2012, 06:35 PM

I also use my table and do one quarter at at time and leave the excess hanging over the edge. After a segment is done I move on to another area. I always work from the center outward. No puckers and my back stays fine. Grace
Old 04-01-2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
I have problems using the floor (and we also have 2 dogs and 2 cats so it's fur central).
Me too. Same #.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 PM

hi,
Our quilt shop has long tables set up upstairs in his quilt shop and lets anyone use it for free to assemble our quilts, makes it a lot easier then crawling on the floor. Sometimes schools will let you use there cafetria tables after school or senior centers. A lot of time senior housing have a community room you can use, check around, I'm sure you'll find something
Good Luck,
Sandy
Old 04-01-2012, 09:18 PM

For lap sizes I use the bed - a double bed in a spare room. Layer everything, then slide my largest mat under and pin away. The mattress is more rounded on the edges than square and that seems to help pull the pieces tight. If the quilt is larger I go from the middle to the foot of the bed - then roll it and carefully pull it down so I can reach the rest of it. I spray baste smaller projects there, also - baby size and place mats.

For ones that are larger a friend and I got to either church or school (we are both teachers) and use the tables there. Clamps and painters tape secure the quilt while we pin.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
I use Sharon Schamber's method of basting on tables using long boards to roll the quilt top and backing on. Here's a tute I did a while back: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...mq-t91013.html
Thats what I do. I hand quilt and take the basting stitches out as i get to the area. I also have created a cutting table that is standing height so I don't bend over tables or crawl around on the floor. I also have a good friend that has a huge cutting table - 4FT x 8 FT.....that I used for the king size quilt I did last summer.