Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Santa's quilting gift list...

As a newbie to quilting, with an extremely well trained husband, I'm hoping for a few small items in my stocking; acrylic rulers and stuff. I already have a rotary cutter and mat and basic sewing things; is there anything else that I should suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by TinaRibena View Post
    As a newbie to quilting, with an extremely well trained husband, I'm hoping for a few small items in my stocking; acrylic rulers and stuff. I already have a rotary cutter and mat and basic sewing things; is there anything else that I should suggest?
    Maybe some marking pens, long quilting straight pins, small pair of scissors and a good seam ripper. Machinigers if you plan to do FMQ.
    Gail in Utah

Blog Entries
    I have an Amazon wish list, which I forwarded to dh. I also discovered you can search for other's wish list by email address, so was able to see what some others would like.

Quote Originally Posted by gail-r View Post
    Maybe some marking pens, long quilting straight pins, small pair of scissors and a good seam ripper. Machinigers if you plan to do FMQ.
    oh yes marking pens would be good, thank you! I seem to have already acquired long pins, can't think why, and the others are part of my dressmaking stash.

I am my own Santa, so bought myself a new sewing machine over the Thanksgiving weekend, and am continuing the spirit of giving (to me) of buying whatever fabric I want. Can't have a new machine without plenty of stuff to sew, says I. I am a frugal person by nature, so when the spending mood grabs me, I go full tilt for a few weeks before coming back to earth. My family does not exchange gifts except for the little ones, so I don't really spend any money. This year I made gifts for the kids, and since I already had the fabric, I call that free.

Blog Entries
    I have to buy my own Christmas gifts which is a good thing, then I get exactly what I want. This year it will be blades for my rotary cutter and more fabric, of course.

Santa-Mom got me the three Accufeed feet for my Janome that I purchased earlier this year, as well as an Ebay collection of 12 Aurifil piecing threads! And the EZ Rule and Companion Angle rulers for using up my slowly building scraps. (I may have helped Santa find them all online...)

Quote Originally Posted by gail-r View Post
    Dear Santa, Please bring me a fat stash of fabric and a skinny body for Christmas and please don't get them confused. I have been mostly good. Gail
    Oh my gail... I want that skinny body too! You made me laugh out loud with that those wishes.

I have been drooling over some of these other santa lists too. But, I had better wish for just the couple things I need.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I put direct links to some quiltingbooks on my list.
    They just have to click and pay
    greetz, fien
    http://quiltfien.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I don't even bother anymore. When I see something I like, I'd go ahead and buy it for myself. Plus I always use coupons . that way I get exactly what I want.

Missouri Star Quilt Company has a really Great Daily Deal today. It is a Dresden Plate for 49 Cents...that is 95% off!!!! They also have lots of other specials for their 12 Days of Christmas promotion. http://www.missouriquiltco.com/deal-a-day

Blog Entries
    Living alone , put the stocking out but it is never filled. This year training one dog to fill it up with sewing items, especially pins and needles I am always buying more.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ so I can go on a shopping spree at MaryJo's, otherwise I have to stay within my nonexistant budget
    I am so jealous - love Mary Jo's...hop you get the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    My DH and I don't exchange gifts either, but I asked and he agreed that in April I can fly down to my home town Louisville, meet up with my 2 sisters and go to the American Quilt Show in Paducah. My sister called yesterday to tell me she has reserved a 2 bedroom cabin for us to stay in for 2 nights, we will go to the show two days, the third day take in the shops in the quaint Paducah downtown before before driving back home to Louisville. My older sister retired as a teacher so we can use her state employee discount for our cabin, two nights will run us each less than $80. Santa is good to me this year!

Blog Entries
    Well like some on here DH is not real good with quilting gifts. He is afraid he will get the wrong thing not to mention we live in the sticks so shopping for quilting supplies has to be done online. Online you say, what the problem? DH on the computer is similar to a child trying to conquer a fear of the boogie an. LOL. So he just says order what you would like and wrap it up. Well that's no fun. So this year my quilting guru girlfriend just happened to have one of the items that I want. It's a hemline carring case to take my machine to classes and such. It's still brand new with tags and she doesn't need it. I have told DH to just go to her house if he wishes and the net problem is solved. Hopefully he does. Also I took his advice and ordered myself a another tote for carrying all my other supplies using my 50 percent off coupon from Joanne's. Either way I'm getting something quilt related. I wonder if ordering a LA would be pushing the wrong buttons, after all he did say order what I want. LOL
    Last edited by mdall; 12-05-2012 at 04:07 AM.

Always a problem. This year I asked for certificates for online classes, the quilting weekend in Amish country that is in June (complete with chicken dinner), the metal quilt block scultpures for outdoors and the always welcome gift - certificates to my favorite LQS. Very practical.

at the foot of the Ouichita Mountains, SE Oklahoma
    My grown children (and their families) and I exchange what we call our Christmas wish list. We put everything from expensive to very cheap...that way there will be something that each family can afford. We started doing this years ago because we hate to waste money on a gift that they may not like when we could buy something that we know they want. With a list of hoped-fors the suprise element of the gifting is still there.

On my list I put several quitling mags I'd like to receive a subscription for, machine quilting thread, schmitz (sp?) needles for the machine, basting spray, one or all of the stencil cd's from Quilt Making magazine, a rolling carrier for ma sewing maching to take to my quilting club, a flannel-backed table cloth so I could make a design wall...several other such things. I started to ask for fabric and/or fq's or charms..but knew they wouldn't have a clue on what to get in that department. I would have liked a gift certificate to the LQS...but they live 4 hours away and the LQS is an hour away from me in a different direction...so that was out.

I put the Mega hoop on my list plus a mariner's compass embroidery set from Nancy's Notions. My husband and family is awesome when filling my quilting 'wants'!!!

Blog Entries
    I asked for a new cutting mat and accessories that go with my cookware....already know i got em all...Thank you Santa

I ask for a turntable cutting mat!
    llweezie

Quote Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
    Always a problem. This year I asked for certificates for online classes, the quilting weekend in Amish country that is in June (complete with chicken dinner), the metal quilt block scultpures for outdoors and the always welcome gift - certificates to my favorite LQS. Very practical.
    I ordered EQ7 as a gift from my husband, since he knows nothing about computers, and I can't think of anything else I want or need - yet. Told him I may check out fabric sales after Christmas, since I don't have much fabric. What is the metal quilt block sculptures you mentioned - I don't think I've seen any, but always interested in yard decorations.

I asked for a new sewing machine. I got it a few weeks ago. We got it a bit early because we had a chance to buy the store's demo for 200 off and my husband wasn't sure if I would like it new or a demo so he had to ask me which to buy. I said heck yes on the demo. It had the same warranty and I already felt guilty enough that he was spending a thousand dollars on me for Christmas.

Oh and he got me a Viking Tribute 140c. LOVE that machine.

I am going to ask for some pre-paid classes.
    lp

I asked for thread sets and holder, but they usually give me money or gift certificates from my favorite sites.
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

I just asked for gift certificates so I can chose what I want. So we will see what happens. I really asked for a new sewing machine,but after the laughs I decided that probably was not happening : ) so I switched to something more practical ...
    Amythyst

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast