Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sapphire 875 thread cutter >

Sapphire 875 thread cutter

Sapphire 875 thread cutter

Old 04-09-2013, 06:20 AM

Default Sapphire 875 thread cutter

Ok, I'm looking into buying a Sapphire 875, cause I'd like the thread cutter and read all the posts on different machines, except the 875. For those that have this machine,do you have the problem with the threads cut too short and not able to grab on to prevent thread nests to start? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 AM

I have this machine. Like my Designer 1 the thread cutter cuts the thread short but you do not have to hold the threads to start sewing. I don't get nests when I start. Love the 10 inch throat.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 AM

I have the 870 and the thread cutter leaves a tail on the back approx 1" long so I always do a fix stitch starting & stopping when machine quilting before using the thread cutter, then I just clip the thread tails when the quilting is complete. When I start to stitch I always hold my top thread to the side so there is no chance of getting a "nest" it's just the bobbin thread that is snipped off so short, and it doesn't make a difference if it gets held or not.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 AM

I love my 875! Love it!! I don't have trouble once the thread is cut. You will be spoiled with that feature and the one that when you stop it will raise the foot a little bit and you can turn your fabric.

I love this machine---
Old 04-09-2013, 09:12 AM

The nest is formed at the beginning because the bobbin thread has not yet connected to the needle thread to create a stitch. So holding the needle thread off to the side keeps the needle thread from sinking into the bobbin area, and allows the stitch to form. When you don't have (or don't use) a thread cutter, the needle and bobbin threads are longer, and both are on top of the needle plate, so the nest can't form. I'm not sure about other machines with thread cutters -- this is the only one I've ever had that has that feature. PS: Agreeing with you -- love the machine. Love the needle cutter. Love the straight stitches. Love the quiet sewing. Love the big throat. If anyone is interested, there is a Yahoo group for Sapphires - it's been a little quiet this month - the archive tho' has hundreds of hints!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 AM

I have the 875Q and LOVE it! I have had no problems at all with any of the thread cutters that is a part of this machine! I have purchased nearly all of the feet that is sold separately and IMHO, this machine is worth every penny!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:15 AM

Wish i had "bitten the bullet" when i purchased my 835 and paid the additional money to get the thread cutter. I thought i would never use the extra embroidery stitches and could "get by" without the thread cutter. Oh, how sorry I am now. That thread cutter is so worth it. (Actually would have used the embroidery stitches too)
Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hulalulu View Post
The nest is formed at the beginning because the bobbin thread has not yet connected to the needle thread to create a stitch. So holding the needle thread off to the side keeps the needle thread from sinking into the bobbin area, and allows the stitch to form. When you don't have (or don't use) a thread cutter, the needle and bobbin threads are longer, and both are on top of the needle plate, so the nest can't form. I'm not sure about other machines with thread cutters -- this is the only one I've ever had that has that feature. PS: Agreeing with you -- love the machine. Love the needle cutter. Love the straight stitches. Love the quiet sewing. Love the big throat. If anyone is interested, there is a Yahoo group for Sapphires - it's been a little quiet this month - the archive tho' has hundreds of hints!
What is the site address for the yahoo sapphire group?
Old 04-13-2013, 03:05 AM

I have the 875 too and love it. No probs with the thread cutter. And love the foot raiser. And the big throat. Had to chuckle recently tho' - recently was using my little Janome (very basic model) and forgot I was using it and automatically used it as tho' I was using the 875 - didn't get too far!!!