Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sashiko Machine--Anyone have one? >

Sashiko Machine--Anyone have one?

Sashiko Machine--Anyone have one?

Old 02-09-2014, 09:54 AM

I just like the hand stitching.....I would not consider getting this because of that fact, and the $$$ ticket as well. All depends on what YOU want!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have sewn on the new Babylock Sashiko machine. From the one stitch you can do 7 different stitch looks. The back stitches look okay for me, a chain stitch look. The one I used was on sale for less then $1000. I made a great looking stitch detailed tote. I don't put much stock in replies of it's too expensive, that is different for everyone. Here is a video of the machine that shows the back stitches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRhq8C6JWj0&feature=related
That's exactly my point. Who wants a chain stitch on the backs of their quilts? Not only is it not attractive, IMHO, but it could easily get picked or caught on something and get ripped out.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
That's exactly my point. Who wants a chain stitch on the backs of their quilts? Not only is it not attractive, IMHO, but it could easily get picked or caught on something and get ripped out.

Until you see it in person then you don't really know how the back chain stitch looks from this machine. The machine wouldn't sell at all if the stitches were awful or didn't hold up. I have no complaints about the stitches on my tote.

Last edited by Onebyone; 02-09-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
It's not big stitches. It won't ravel out or get caught easily. Until you see it in person then you don't know.
I have seen it in person.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

The new version with 7 stitches? I don't see you can say the stitches won't hold up. My tote has been used a lot and washed and dried. No problem so far. They aren't like regular stitches but that is why it's Sashiko. I'm just giving my review of having used and made something other then a quilt with the machine.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:24 PM

I went to a retreat about three weeks ago. She had one left on sale 50% off. I brought it home. I like what it does. But, it is a very touchy piece of machinery. I did a small table runner first then jumped right into a quilt I had all ready before I bought this machine. Your working with one thread so you can't use one color on top and a different color in the bottom. I will try harder in the future to keep this in mind when buying my backing fabric. If I were going to stitch the top with a white or beige thread, I would use a very light backing, not a dark color. Half way through this quilt it started making Hugh loops on the back, breaking thread . I went through the book, did everything. Cleaned the shuttle, changed the latch hook, the needle. Adjusted something's I shouldn't have. Finally called the shop where I bought it, which is 130miles away. Two phone calls and when I calmed down, could feel it bind when I turned the hand wheel. Got a better light and removed the shuttle. Got a new Q-tip and found a tiny tiny piece of lint that I'd missed and it messed up that machine like you wouldn't believe. You can't stitch over previous stitching, it will jam the machine. I have a love, hate relationship with all my babylock machines. Go to your friendly babylock dealer and ask to test drive one. It is a lot of fun.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

I have sewn on a demo model at a quilt show. It was fun. Many people were using it and it didn't mess up during the time I was there. I would buy one if there was a dealer close to me that knew everything about it, not just selling them. If you get enjoyment from using it and it does the job you wanted then it's worth the price. If I didn't buy what others said was too expensive I wouldn't have most of the sewing tools I have. LOL
Old 08-05-2014, 05:19 AM

I am fascinated with how these things work. It's not really my style of stitching so I'm not interested in one for myself, but I'm super curious about the engineering of it. I've watched videos and finally went to go play with one at the local dealer, just because I was so interested in the mechanics of the thing. Amazing, what people come up with!