Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sashiko machine

Sashiko machine

Do any of you have this machine? If so what are the pro's and con's.

Blog Entries
    do a search on this up in the search box here on the quilting board and several threads will come up on the subject.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    One of the LQS has them and they do beautiful things with them. They quilt on them and it looks like it is hand quilted. I didn't look at the back. I would love one but it's just not in my budget right now. I have searched for a used one, no luck yet.

I have one that I bought a few years ago. They are costly-do a great stitch-one only-I like it but for what it does lots of money. The dealer I bought mine from knew nothing about what they were selling and no else can help me. Know what your dealer offers before you buy as there is a learning curve for sure.

A friend of mine has one and she loves it. The stitch is beautiful. It's pricey, tho. I think my friend paid about $1800 for hers.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sashiko Machine

I have taken a class on Sashiko. It does lovely stitches, a wide variety. The class was at a local shop where Eve Hawkins, an expert on the Sashiko led the class. Check out the video she has of the hand-stitch machine: https://youtu.be/WP7kfp3EpMo Also, her website is Bit of Stitch https://www.abitofstitch.com/

I saw that in the Baby Lock store but was not paying much attention. Now I've been watching the videos. When are they going to make that in a longarm!
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you donít need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

If you are looking for a stitch that resembles a hand stitch, and have a Brother/BabyLock, you may already have a stitch on your machine that can do the job. Look for a stitch that has one straight stitch and then a forward/back/forward stitch and then a single forward stitch, and then another forward/back/forward stitch, etc. The little description that shows on my screen when I ask for an explanation of this stitch even says it is supposed to look like a hand stitch...which has always completely bothered me because it does not. Well, nowhere does it say that you have to take some extra steps to make this stitch work...not even in the manual!

I stumbled across the directions somewhere on the internet...put the thread that you want to show on top in the bobbin, and put invisible thread on the top of your machine. And then experiment with increasing the top tension..by a lot! Which felt very weird to me, because I am used to decreasing top tension when I use invisible thread. As you increase the tension, the invisible thread will pull the bobbin thread up thru the material on each of the forward/back/forward stitches. Keep experimenting until you get it right. I have found that a low luster invisible thread makes it look quite a bit like a hand stitch...complete with gaps between each stitch (where the invisible thread actually is).

Try it. I had my top tension just below max to get it to work for my first project with this stitch, and have also found that the tension needs to be experimented with again for each new combination of material and batting.

Blog Entries
    This utility stitch that glassbird discusses also appears on some Janome machines. It does leave the invisible thread on top. The Babylock Sashiko only uses thread in the stitch. I have used both.