Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sashiko stitch on regular machine >

Sashiko stitch on regular machine

Sashiko stitch on regular machine

Old 02-12-2024, 08:32 AM

I did do some research on this, and there is a lot of info on the web as to doing sashiko with a machine. I have a Bernina so I looked at those videos. Hints I got included using a cordonnet foot which has a grove in the bottom for the thicker thread, to use a thicker thread on the top and a navy thread in the bobbin as it will blend in with the indigo fabric sashiko is traditionally done on. However, it looks like there are a couple of different stitches to use to get the look of sashiko. One method, involves using a staight stitch but tightening the top tension so the bobbin thread is pulled to the top and that is the thread you see. Triple stitches may be used. There seems to be several ways to get that look. Also some machines have a "hand look stitch" that may look like the sashiko stitch too. So, I think it is best to do a search for "doing sashiko" using the type of machine you have. I plan to look at my manual for my machines and also at the separate foot book I have that explains different techniques.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:30 AM

I have heard the using heavy thread in the bobbin or top and a clear monofilament in the other,,top or bottom, looks like sashiko. haven’t tried it.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:52 AM

Well, I'm one of those crazy people that bought a sashiko machine. Some day I might actually use it too.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Well, I'm one of those crazy people that bought a sashiko machine. Some day I might actually use it too.
You made me laugh. I know so many people who have bought an expensive machine - embroidery, longarm, etc. - and haven't used it, or tried it only once and then let it sit. I haven't done that (yet) with an expensive machine, but I have a couple of unused vintage machines just sitting around.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
OMG!!! You have the sashiko machine and haven’t used it?!? I’ve seen them in action and the stitching is amazing!!! Unfortunately it’s not in my budget at this time. So envious. You really should break it out and show us what it can do. Go ahead, spark my green eyed monster. I might be goaded into robbing Peter to pay Paul! lol
Old 02-12-2024, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Yeah, I see what you mean Dunster, I don't think that looks good either.
I'm not that impressed with that either.
Old 02-14-2024, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
That's one of the videos I watched. I didn't think the stitches looked very good compared to real sashiko. (The picture is from the video.)
I'm with the rest of you an saying YIKES!!
Or ... as Shania Twain would say ♫♪ "That don't impress me much!" ♪♫