Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sashiko stitch on the sewing machine >

Sashiko stitch on the sewing machine

Sashiko stitch on the sewing machine

Old 06-03-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Did you see this?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-111381-1.htm

I just tried it out on my Brother PQ1500S. It works pretty well. If my camera batteries ever recharge, I'll post some pictures. I think it is worth playing with for a bit. I can see it enhancing some quilts done in reproduction fabrics.
I went back to my machine and looked and looked and all I could find was a stitch that goes forward and t2 and back one stitch. Not sure how it would look with two different threads in the top and bobbin. I have the Pfaff Expressions4. Love the machine. but I very seldom use it for anything but stitching quilts. I should get some plain t-shirts out and do some fancy stitches on them. Or my sweatshirts. This model is just below the embroidery model and I didn't go for that one because I am not the type to do that sort of sewing. I have friends who have them and if I need to I can ask them to do something for me. I of course pay them. Last thing was a label for my son's quilt. Jan
Old 06-03-2011, 07:51 AM

I just tried it with a plain old straight stitch. My 1500S is a straight stitch only machine. I have two cream colored threads in the top and black in the bottom. As you can see, I tried a few different stitch lengths, but did not have to adjust my tension.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206039.jpe   attachment-206040.jpe   attachment-206041.jpe  
Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 AM

My cheap little brother also had a quilting stitch. I found it too slow though so didn't ever use it much.
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
There are a couple of machines that do a "quilting stitch" I know that the high end Singer computerized machines did...aka XL-1000, XL-6000, 9240 etc...I think the high end Vikings, too.
You can replicate the sashiko by having invisable thread in the top threading and regular thread in the bobbin.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by cuppi duke
My cheap little brother also had a quilting stitch. I found it too slow though so didn't ever use it much.
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
There are a couple of machines that do a "quilting stitch" I know that the high end Singer computerized machines did...aka XL-1000, XL-6000, 9240 etc...I think the high end Vikings, too.
You can replicate the sashiko by having invisable thread in the top threading and regular thread in the bobbin.
Ya, this machine she used really moved right along. Guess I will just have to learn to do it by hand, the old fashioned way. :?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:12 AM

My machine does this at the same speed it does everything. It's not a special stitch. I can zoom or just poke along.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by mshawii
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Did you see this?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-111381-1.htm

I just tried it out on my Brother PQ1500S. It works pretty well. If my camera batteries ever recharge, I'll post some pictures. I think it is worth playing with for a bit. I can see it enhancing some quilts done in reproduction fabrics.
I went back to my machine and looked and looked and all I could find was a stitch that goes forward and t2 and back one stitch. Not sure how it would look with two different threads in the top and bobbin. I have the Pfaff Expressions4. Love the machine. but I very seldom use it for anything but stitching quilts. I should get some plain t-shirts out and do some fancy stitches on them. Or my sweatshirts. This model is just below the embroidery model and I didn't go for that one because I am not the type to do that sort of sewing. I have friends who have them and if I need to I can ask them to do something for me. I of course pay them. Last thing was a label for my son's quilt. Jan

On the Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 choose stitch number 52. Put monofilament thread ( I use YLI) in your needle and the colour of thread you want to show in the bobbin. Set the needle thread tension as high as you need to get the look that suits you. I put my thread tension as high as it will go. I lengthen the stitch to 6.5 or higher. Engage IDT.

When you sew, all you will see is the bobbin thread.

Hope this helps.
Janie
Old 10-22-2011, 06:21 AM

I just got a sale price of $1,799. from Am. Sewing in N.J. but not sure if that is for the original or the sashiko 2 (which does more). Janer
Old 10-23-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by JanetRobert
I just got a sale price of $1,799. from Am. Sewing in N.J. but not sure if that is for the original or the sashiko 2 (which does more). Janer
Original price was 2400...I got a quote last yr of 1799 on a used one...passed it up figuring I'd wait it out...Didn't know there was a new model...Now I'll have to search that out...thanks for info...