Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Satin Stitch >

Satin Stitch

Satin Stitch

Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 PM

How do I do a satin stitch on my machine? Is it a zigzag or something else? I want to learn to do applique - is satin stitch the best or is there a better option?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:17 AM

Satin stitch is a tight zigzag. You can use any stitch around an applique. My machine does a nice small blanket stitch. I usually use that. Other decorative stitches can be used too. I've done some with straight stitching and they look ok, but I don't care for it as much that way. Try out some samples to see what you like best.

I use stitch-n-tear stabilizer behind the fabric. It gives a nice look without puckering the fabric, which usually happens to me, especially with a satin stitch.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Kaz

Satin stitch is zigzag but you alter it so the stitches lie closer together. Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:23 AM

I tried a lot of diferrent stitches when appliquéing. I learned a lot of Decrative stitches on the machine.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:12 AM

To make a narrow satin stitch have you your zig zag length at a lower number and to have it tighter have your stitch length at a lower number. Try different combos first till you find the one you like.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:55 AM

Sounds like you are all telling me it takes practice. :)

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

I would try the satin stitch on a scrap block. Make sure that your sample applique has 'innie' and 'outie' cuts. You may want to try using a light stableizer. I find it really difficult to make it look nice and have much better luck with a narrow blanket stitch. I also like the look and the drape of a blanket stitch better. Depending on the design, a satin stitch may make the applique look heavy and kind of stiffens up the fabric due to the density of the stitching.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:49 AM

Practice - practice - practice. I am very picky with my stitching. That is the reason that a lot of my stuff doesn't get finished. If I can't make it perfect, then I don't finish it.

I am getting past that slowly. Just PRACTICE.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I would try the satin stitch on a scrap block. Make sure that your sample applique has 'innie' and 'outie' cuts. You may want to try using a light stableizer. I find it really difficult to make it look nice and have much better luck with a narrow blanket stitch. I also like the look and the drape of a blanket stitch better. Depending on the design, a satin stitch may make the applique look heavy and kind of stiffens up the fabric due to the density of the stitching.
What is an innie and an outie? (I don't think it has anything to do with bellybuttons.)
Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 AM

"Innie" is a point on the inside part of the design, like the bottom of a letter "v". "Outie" is a point like the point of the "v" turned upside down. Hope that makes sense! I use a narrow zig-zag stitch with invisible nylon thread on top and thread (not as narrow as the satin, just enough to catch the edge of the applique)that matches the applique color in the bobbin.