Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Save sewing machine box? >

Save sewing machine box?

Save sewing machine box?

Old 01-07-2019, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I completely agree. One word in caps is not shouting. It is a completely acceptable form of emphasis on the net, and it helps the reader to understand the writer's thoughts.
I agree also, but that is not how it's handled on this site, unfortunately. I have had multiple conversations with one of the mods to no avail.

I have 8 machines and only one came with a box, which I was told to keep and I have. It's up in the attic above the garage somewhere, collecting dust and spider carcasses. Most of the machines I have were purchased second hand. I did buy my brand-spankin new Innova just this month and it did not come with a box, but you won't catch me complaining!!

Last edited by Peckish; 01-07-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:37 PM

I used to save the boxes, but after 30 years and multiple machines, I never had to use one of them so I quit. If I have to send one back and the dealer can't pack and send it for me, I'm finding a new dealer.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:33 AM

Keep all of my boxes. I know I will sell my many machines at some point, or my daughter will. All of my boxes are in the attic.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

I kept mine for the life of the warranty after that I went ahead & got rid of the box and started taking the machine to the local sewing shop for service. If it needs to go further ( back to manufacturer) the shop takes care of shipping it so I don’t have to worry about it
Old 01-08-2019, 06:41 AM

Another reason for keeping boxes is moving. If you ever move, they come in handy for protecting your machines, tv, etc. I don't keep every box but my machines and TV's yes.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:22 AM

I've kept my boxes. Was good to have them when we moved.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:21 AM
anonymous

I have had 2 bad experiences with machines being shipped without the original boxes. One was professionally packed for hundreds of dollars by a professional packing company. It was a high end machine and heavy. They chose to not use the box and packing styrofoam but rather use their own box and packing material. The machine was a mess when it arrived. It totaled the machine. They were responsible, but getting them to pay was a nightmare. The other machine appeared to arrive okay. The packing box was not damaged, but the machine inside could still move due to it's weight. The shaft inside the machine had come out of the side of the machine. An easier fix, but the sale did not happen. If you may ever sell a machine and need to ship, save yourself some heartache and save your box and just as importantly the styrofoam. I also take pictures when I unpack a machine. I worked at a sewing machine dealer and we did not keep boxes or packing material.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:49 PM

My Janome Dealer emphasized saving the original box. I still have the big box.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:36 AM

What? Sewing machines come with boxes? All of my machines were 2nd hand... I was just pleased that they came with a hard case, or a dust cover. Perhaps someday I'll get a new machine. I have a feeling the 3 I have will outlast me, though.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:16 AM

I just bought a used machine that comes with a frame and quilt motion set up. They are all in their own boxes and it makes it nice, not to have to sort everything out. I do have all my machine boxes as well.