Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Save sewing machine box? >

Save sewing machine box?

Save sewing machine box?

Old 01-07-2019, 03:44 AM

Default Save sewing machine box?

Is there a reason to save the original box my sewing machine came in? I’ve had it for years and it takes up a lot of room.

Thanks,
Elise
Old 01-07-2019, 04:09 AM

If your machine needs to be sent back to the manufacturer for repair , it will need to be in its original box. If you don’t have it, they will charge $65 to make one for you. It’s up to you if you want to store it.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:10 AM

I don't know if there is a reason to save it but I still have mine as well. At least it's in the attic and not affecting my day to day life. I suppose it will remain there until some unknown year in the future that we actually clear out some the stuff in the attic that really needs to go!
Old 01-07-2019, 04:41 AM

That depends on the dealer. For years I kept all boxes, that adds up. Then when I got my Babylock I was told that wasn't needed. So I threw them away. When I had to send my Sashiko back, I was asked about the box and I told them I was told that I didn't need to keep them. She said it was ok and they found a box and sent it back for me. I have several big machines and it would take up so much space to save all of the boxes.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by UFOs Galore View Post
If your machine needs to be sent back to the manufacturer for repair , it will need to be in its original box. If you don’t have it, they will charge $65 to make one for you. It’s up to you if you want to store it.
this is up to the dealer, not a standard set rule
Old 01-07-2019, 05:11 AM
anonymous

Or if you ever sell your machine. Anytime a machine needs to be shipped it needs the orginal box to protects it. The packing (styrofoam) is made specifically to protect the machine and keep it from moving.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:08 AM

I do keep my boxes. They are in the attic in the garage wrapped in plastic. When it comes time for service, I pack it in the original box. When I sold one of my machines, the buyer was tickled pink it came in the original box. My last purchased machine came with instructions to keep the box. None of my machines have come easy for me and I always remember the thrill when I pick up my new machine in that box!! I would have loved to capitalize that word box, but I've been scolded before from moderators who says that is considered shouting. Well, yes, I am just that excited that I could shout when I purchase a machine and it comes to me in that "box!!!!"
Old 01-07-2019, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Still Sew N View Post
I do keep my boxes. They are in the attic in the garage wrapped in plastic. When it comes time for service, I pack it in the original box. When I sold one of my machines, the buyer was tickled pink it came in the original box. My last purchased machine came with instructions to keep the box. None of my machines have come easy for me and I always remember the thrill when I pick up my new machine in that box!! I would have loved to capitalize that word box, but I've been scolded before from moderators who says that is considered shouting. Well, yes, I am just that excited that I could shout when I purchase a machine and it comes to me in that "box!!!!"
Personally if one word is all caps I don't think of it as shouting but just emphasizing that word, but if all are, then it kind of assails my eyes. LOL (Now, that's all caps) Now back to the original thoughts: Unfortunately I didn't save the styrofoam so I guess I may as well ditch the box, EXCEPT that it is full of scraps that I dumped in there when we moved. Happy quilting Still Sew N.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:54 AM

I've always kept my machine boxes as you never know if you'll need it in the future. I keep mine up in the rafters in my front garage so its out of the house but close enough if I need it. I sold one of my embroidery machines as I decided to downsize after moving from Florida to Iowa. I wasn't using it much anyway. Had it since 2005 so having the original box came in handy. I didn't have to ship it as I made arrangements with the buyer to meet at an open area during one of my "road trips" to the "big city". Also sold one of my sergers and having its box came in handy as it was shipped and having all the stuffings inside kept it much safer while moving thru the mail service. I just feel better buying and/or selling a machine if it comes in its original box. That way I know its the original machine.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante View Post
Personally if one word is all caps I don't think of it as shouting but just emphasizing that word, but if all are, then it kind of assails my eyes. LOL (Now, that's all caps) Now back to the original thoughts: Unfortunately I didn't save the styrofoam so I guess I may as well ditch the box, EXCEPT that it is full of scraps that I dumped in there when we moved. Happy quilting Still Sew N.
I agree with you on the shouting thing. For my Viking I have the styrofoam for the arm because the carrying bag is made so that you can put the styro in it and it holds the arm safe and secure. Along with hoops if needed. I don't have a lot of space plus we have field mice so I try not to give them extra places to live. I will keep them if I need them to store something in but I try not to store in boxes.