Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Save those "tiny" leftover scraps

Blog Entries

Save those "tiny" leftover scraps

I was working on a project where there were a lot of pretty pieces of fabric cut away and not used in the project. What a shame to throw them away but some were only 1/2 inch to 1 inch pieces. (Too small to do anything with but still hated to throw them away). Then the lightbulb came on. I started even cutting larger chunks into tiny pieces with the rotary cutter (like mosaic pieces in all kinds of odd shapes but small). Then I layed a 12" X 12" Piece of fusible interfacing down with the sticky side up and started laying these TINY pieces onto the fusible, starting in the middle of the fusible. I layed one piece in the center and surrounded it with contrasting pieces all around until I covered the whole piece of fusible. Make sure everything touches and no fusible shows through. THEN press over them with an iron to keep them in place on the fusible. Then I did free motion zig zagging all around the pieces to secure them. (You could also use your fancy machine stitches but would take a little longer). Once they are all zig-zagged in place......you can use your new 12" piece of handmade fabric to make a wallet, or embellish a purse or tote bag, or on a pocket, or even cut the 12" square in half to use front and back on a purse, or on another project for the center of a pillow with borders etc. They are so pretty and have lots of uses on other projects for embellishment. Have to add, the process was so much fun arranging the pieces onto the fusible like a puzzle.

Power Poster
    Picture, please?

Or you could use them to make fabric beads for embellishment

would love to see a picture of what you are talking about!

Blog Entries
    I would love to see a picture.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

what a neat idea. I need to make pillows for my camper and this would make a great pillow. I would also love to see a picture.

Blog Entries
    sounds very interesting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Instead of zigzagging, another idea I've seen is to put a piece of tulle, netting, organza or angelina over the fused pieces, then just free motion thru the whole sandwich. I would also love a picture!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

If I understand what you're saying.....I'm thinking mug rugs!

Power Poster
    ​Look up "confetti quilts" it sounds similar to what you are describing.

Blog Entries
    That is how Snippet small quilts are made.
    Got fabric?

I throw all small pieces away. Not worth sewing to me, waste of thread and electricity. I have too much fabric to worry about small pieces. Just me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I too have trouble throwing even small pieces away. I am glad I read this today, I need a back for a scarp quilt and this is what I am going to try. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
    I too have trouble throwing even small pieces away. I am glad I read this today, I need a back for a scarp quilt and this is what I am going to try. Thanks.
    meeetoooo! I was cleaning up my sewing room today and had trouble throwing pieces out I'd be brave and say I don't really need it but then I hover over the trash can my hands won't release it lol but good idea think I'll give it a try think I saw something like this long while ago where you put a layer of tulle also

I save every tiny piece of scrap and when I get enough to make a pet bed for our local Humane Society, I give it the bed to them. I've been working on a confetti quilt and will be pinning the tulle over and quilting it by this weekend.

Don't for get to use your threads too. some of use just can part with our fabrics and threads. love makeing fabric.
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Picture, please?
    Hi bearisgray.....Uhmmm....did you happen to notice, where it says how many blog entries.....It was number "1". I was not even sure I would know how to post a blog. tee hee. I wanted to share what I did cause it was so cute but I don't even know how to put a picture on here or how to even take a picture with the camera to transfer to the computer. I am a newbie, still learning how to get around on here but I have learned so much from all of you and I just had to share the tiny scrap project I did. I had to teach a class at the American Sewing Guild Sewing Retreat in Sebring last month and I taught the stitch and slash pillow and that was how I ended up with all the pretty discarded pieces. So the little mosaic, or puzzle like piece was born....and all the ladies in the class went bonkers over it and couldn't wait to make one up for themselves. They had all kinds of ideas to use it for. Some one said here about making pillows for her camper. That would be awesome. Putting tulle over them and FM on it would give a totally different look, pretty, but not what I was trying to achieve here. But is was so much fun arranging the little pieces all over the fusible. (And pressing keeps them attached to the fusible.) P.S. now I have to figure out how to post a picture. haha

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Don't for get to use your threads too. some of use just can part with our fabrics and threads. love makeing fabric.
    I am so glad there are others out there like me. I hate to throw anything away that I could use to embellish things. I like your idea with using threads too. I save all those snips of thread when using the embroidery machine and add some metallics to them too. Thanks.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrea View Post
    Hi bearisgray.....Uhmmm....did you happen to notice, where it says how many blog entries.....It was number "1". I was not even sure I would know how to post a blog. tee hee. I wanted to share what I did cause it was so cute but I don't even know how to put a picture on here or how to even take a picture with the camera to transfer to the computer. I am a newbie, still learning how to get around on here but I have learned so much from all of you and I just had to share the tiny scrap project I did. I had to teach a class at the American Sewing Guild Sewing Retreat in Sebring last month and I taught the stitch and slash pillow and that was how I ended up with all the pretty discarded pieces. So the little mosaic, or puzzle like piece was born....and all the ladies in the class went bonkers over it and couldn't wait to make one up for themselves. They had all kinds of ideas to use it for. Some one said here about making pillows for her camper. That would be awesome. Putting tulle over them and FM on it would give a totally different look, pretty, but not what I was trying to achieve here. But is was so much fun arranging the little pieces all over the fusible. (And pressing keeps them attached to the fusible.) P.S. now I have to figure out how to post a picture. haha
    Actually, I didn't notice the number of entries you had made - anyway - welcome to the Quilting Board.

I agonize having to throw away scraps, but force myself to do so if they aren't at least 2 1/2" square (or larger). Your idea sounds interesting, but a little too much work for me (I'm a homeschooling mom). Would love to see a picture, though!
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

interesting fun idea...talk about a scrappy rag quilt!....I just might try that!.....oh.....pic please!!!!

Sandrea, what a neat idea to use small pieces of cloth, no matter how small they are! I have used fine tulle as a top layer for a couple projects, and it is great for FMQ, too. Thanks for sharing your information. Now and then it is soothing to do a fun project "just because."

This sounds great. Show us a picture please..
    sandysews

A merry heart doth good like a medicine.

Wisdom is too high for a fool.

[QUOTE=Sandrea I had to teach a class at the American Sewing Guild Sewing Retreat in Sebring last month and I taught the stitch and slash pillow and that was how I ended up with all the pretty discarded pieces.

Sandrea, I am curious to know..........what is a stitch and slash pillow? Inquiring minds want to know.

I think of you guys every time I sweep off the dining room table and throw an armful of scraps into the trash. As interesting as this kind of thing sounds, I just don't have it in me to save everything. Too much stuff actually is stressful for me. This does sound like a really fun project to do at a workshop or something. Perhaps in a few years when I retire and have more time to call my own, I'll change my tune

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast