Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Saved Patterns

Quote Originally Posted by Gay View Post
    Should we be called 'hoarders'?

That would probably be a “yes” in my case
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I , too, am in that club!!!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Blog Entries
    Oh no!! I am definitely not a hoarder!! I'm a Book & Pattern Queen!! In my own little realm sifting through my pretty books and patterns taking bits from this one and bits from that one to be put together "someday" to create and sew up a masterpiece!!
    Deb

I have a friend who is a knitter. He said today he was a SABLE. Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I have an entire bookcase filled with loose-leaf binders, each one containing patterns in page protectors and filed alphabetically. The problem is that filing them that way is convenient, but now I don't remember the exact names for every one of them -- nor the blocks each one contains, i.e., half-square triangles, flying geese, nine-patches, etc. When I get desperate for a pattern, I have to try to remember which binder it is in and then go through page by page looking for it -- if I can remember the name of the pattern!! It's a struggle, indeed!

My quilting books are in another shelf. There are so many of them that I can't even begin to remember what pattern I liked so much that I had to buy the book.

It's probably time to go through and get rid of those I know I'll never do anything with. Life would be simpler, too, if my memory wasn't so overworked and tired, right?

To make matters worse, I've now become "slightly" addicted to doll clothes patterns, particularly the American Girl sizes. Some of the patterns in those collections may have as many as fifty (50!!!) or so pages in them.

Hmm! I wonder if I should perhaps seek professional help. . . Either mental or organization would probably be a consideration!!
    Sometimes I try to act "normal," but it gets boring so I just go back to being myself.

Yes, my name is Linda and I'm a pattern hoarder.

Yes, many, many, many! No, I'll never make them all but I love the library.

Oh yes, I was looking at all my patterns Iíve printed and we are now in the third pack of paper. I told myself that this has to stop, but I love them.

You are not alone. My sister calls this PAS, pattern acquisition syndrome. Mine is not confined to quilt patterns. I recently visited my parents and discovered that my mother has this syndrome, too. So, it must be genetic and not my fault. Therefore, I can just enjoy, LOL.

My addiction is quilting pics. I save them as picture folder, downloads, insert into word files, one file might have 500 pages of quilt pics, unrelated, bookmarks.....no order in this category.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I have lots of books, too many magazines and way, way, way too many patterns. I buy them and get the hard copy or I get the pdf and print it off. Those I have strewn all over my sewing room. I need to organize them somehow. But some of them are 13 pages long. Any ideas?
    I have the "report" sleeves that can go into a notebook for the ones I've printed off,and ripped out of magazines(cuz sometimes there is only one or two in the mag that I like so no sense in keeping the whole thing!) Then I have them organized into categories @ baby, traditional, modern, quick,and scrappy. I have currently 3 full LARGE notebooks of patterns!!!
    The man who speaks the truth is always at ease

Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    I have a friend who is a knitter. He said today he was a SABLE. Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy.
    I like this phrase!
    The man who speaks the truth is always at ease

I love collecting patterns. On a slow quilting day, I will spend hours looking through my patterns getting inspired to get back to the cutting board.

Don't like to use "hoarder" but "collector"~ Have more quilt patterns, pics, and recipes than any 10 women could ever sew or cook! Have a fair amount of "stash" too. So . . . it's been suggested that maybe I like "collecting" better than sewing or cooking!

I think I would corral a kid who seems to understand you "addiction" and you two agree as to how your treasures will be distributed. I DH says he will light a bonfire in the driveway! I told him I would haunt him forever if he did that.

I am with you. I have so many when I want to find one i have no idea where to start looking.

Blog Entries
    I am not a hoarder, I am a researcher. I have been able to direct others to patterns they are unable to locate.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Lets see if I can calculate: About 80 quilt books, over 300 magazines, and at least 50 individual purchased patterns...
    I think I can empathize! But I still love to look through new-to-me books and magazines for ideas. My most recent project came from a library book!
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

I am a recovering hoarder, somewhat. I don't have much paper & continue to downsize books & magazines. I scan what I want to keep in computer files backed up & recycle what I scan or don't want to keep.

LOL NO you are not alone. I have piles of books; magazines and inherited many of my mom's and grandmothers and gave a bunch away and still get more that interest me; then there are the ones online that are free, so; I have more than I will EVER make; if I have to make one of each I'll never die.

I actually have about a million patterns either downloaded, in books, magazines or actual patterns and I have fabric enough fabric to make 2 or 3 quilts from each pattern. I think it is not an addiction, but what I would hope is just "high hopes". I also have probable 25-30 tops waiting to be quilted and I do have a long arm. My kids are very worried about what they are going to do with my "high hopes" if I pass away in the next 30 years.

Blog Entries
    You are not alone. I have 7 large 3-ring binders. Plus loose pages.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2