Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saved Patterns

Talking Saved Patterns

Okay, I want to know if I'm the only one who has 2000 + quilt patterns saved in various ways (books, magazines, paid copies,pictures )And still keep saving more?! I think its an addiction and I need help! Please tell me I'm not alone in this!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-05-2018 at 04:33 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    The man who speaks the truth is always at ease

Blog Entries
    I have lots too... and the fabric to go with them all!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Oh my gosh, if I counted all the quilting books, saved magazines and free downloads.... Yeah I guess I must have close to that amount too, but I still needed EQ! PP, you crack me up that you have the fabric for them all too.

I bet most of us have way more patterns than completed quilts!
    You are not alone

And I forget the ones that I just knew I had to make until I start looking through them.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    No, I don't think it is an addiction, and I also save patterns and fabrics. We just like pretty things, and are ambitious and want to make these things. However, there is so much else to do all of the time.
    Keep saving!!
    Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

You are definitely not alone. In fact, I was going thru my patterns yesterday and I have pages of magazines, quilt books and individual patterns. I know I won't get them all made up before I die but it sure is fun to browse and dream. Last year I just purged a lot of patterns that were not my favorite and I still have 2 bins full of patterns!!!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have lots of books, too many magazines and way, way, way too many patterns. I buy them and get the hard copy or I get the pdf and print it off. Those I have strewn all over my sewing room. I need to organize them somehow. But some of them are 13 pages long. Any ideas?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Since I'm not computer savvy I have way to many things stored in my computer as downloads & in my favorites section of my computer. My problem is that all my quilting stuff is mingled with other things that I've saved & I don't know how to categorize them into their own individual folders that I can label as "quilting", "birds", "cooking/recipes", etc. So when I want to look at something I have to scroll down my whole list of favorites & hope to find it.

I have 168 books, years and years of numerous magazines, and yet I still go to Pinterest every day to see what new ideas and inspiration I can glean. Every day I print out at least one quilt that has a great combination of fabrics or colors, an idea I might use some day, or a paper-piecing template that might come in handy some time. I'm addicted too.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Lots of books, magazine articles, patterns in print, not to mention EQ and various patterns I've bookmarked or saved to my computer. And what have I done for my most recent two quilts? Challenges associated with an art quilt guild that are original designs.

Blog Entries
    I to am an addict for saving/buying patterns

If I see a pattern or picture of a quilt that speaks to me, of course, I'll get it. May never make it but I have it in case I do. I have folders on my PC for specific types of patterns such as scrappy, paper pieced, stars, logcabins, etc. Also have a folders titled "Future Quilts" so I know to look there first when I'm up to a new quilt. Sometimes its just a picture of how the fabrics and/or colors are arranged in a quilt that tweaks my interest.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Me too! I have binders full and stacks laying on top and rows of pattern and idea books. I like to page through them when I'm not busy or trying to unwind from a busy day. Lots of them are just for inspiration....many I like the basic look but I would make changes here and there.

You are in good company :-) Definitely not alone!; I have the same problem, but I won't call it an addiction LOL!

Not alone at all! I have full quilt patterns, blocks, paper piecing, and applique blocks that I've saved on a flash drive and with all of the books, magazines and purchased patterns I'm pretty sure I have way more than 2000!!

I'm sure it is an addiction...maybe you should start a support group!
    Sue

I'm in the same boat as the rest of you. Magazines, books, pdf patterns, printed patterns, you name it, chances are I have it. LOL It took me a long time to stop feeling guilty about it, don't drink, smoke, gamble so this is my entertain-ment. Is it organized? No, so it's like Xmas and opening a new package when I go searching for something. It's not wasted if you enjoy them, like collecting fabric ... hehehe.

The best cooks have the best recipes. Right? I am overflowing with great patterns. No matter though. I love them.

This is what I enjoy doing and I have many charities I donate to yearly. Plus, I make gifts for birthdays and holidays. I don't know if it saves me money, but, I know the gifts are unique and from the heart.

For the most part they are organized into categories and I know where they are. I do go through and donate some of the patterns that I have used and I know I will not use anymore. Others I don't have the heart to pass on. I love them too much.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 07-05-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    I collect patterns too and keep them in looseleaf binders. They are my go-to for inspiration.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Count me in on this subject - binders, patterns, books, magazines and saved to my computer; have no idea how many but I get sucked in and have to have it. Some have the material bought and ready to sew but most are just waiting for another day.

I have lots too. When I decide to make a quilt, I just make up my own pattern.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I have lots of books, too many magazines and way, way, way too many patterns. I buy them and get the hard copy or I get the pdf and print it off. Those I have strewn all over my sewing room. I need to organize them somehow. But some of them are 13 pages long. Any ideas?
    My patterns printed from the computer are each in a clear page protector, arranged alphabetically by pattern name in a ring binder. My patterns taken from magazines are stored the same way, in five ring binders. (I purged boxes and boxes of magazines last year.)

Gay
    Blog Entries
    Should we be called 'hoarders'? At least most of my patterns are on the hard drive, so that will be quick to clean up if I choose to do so. Only a few will ever be made, but I couldn't bring myself to just delete any. The bedroom cupboard is half full of magazines and books, and that's not all. There's the collection of candlewick, redwork and applique designs & books. And I have embroidery machines so one drawer is full of embroidery cds, gathered in the same way as patterns and fabrics. My double garage is my sewing/quilting room and the walls are full of fabrics, laces, specialty wools and braids, paints and other hobby 'stuff'. Not sure if my kids will squabble over who gets what or will cart it all to the dump when I go, but for now I will just enjoy it all.

I probably have at least that many on my computer, not including the individual patterns that I've picked up at thrift stores and yard sales, and also not including the patterns I've saved from magazines, AND also MANY books. LOL You're NOT alone, believe me!!!! I also have lots and lots of fabric. LOL

I have way more patterns than I will ever complete. I even tell my wife, "Don't let me buy any more books!" Then she sees a pattern in a book...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast