Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Saving money becoming expensive ... >

Saving money becoming expensive ...

Saving money becoming expensive ...

Old 03-26-2014, 10:08 AM

Been there, done that. Learned my lesson when I couldn't match it with anything I had...another trip to another store..etc. etc.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:09 PM

So glad I'm not alone! Cutters, rulers, and books are my weaknesses
Old 03-27-2014, 04:24 AM

I hate it when I go into my LQS to buy a spool of thread and look around and find something on display that catches my eye and end up purchasing everything needed to make the quilt. DH hates to let me go shopping any more as he never knows what I will come home with.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:21 AM

I always check the sale area in a quilt shop where things are usually 50% off but since there is usually a 1 yard minimum purchase and often I only buy a 1/2 yard I'm actually spending the same amount by buying something on sale. I saw some fabric on sale at an on-line store and you get free shipping if you spend $50 so I started looking at other sale fabric and other things to get up to $50 to get free shipping. In the end the fabric that I really like ended up costing a lot so I got away from my computer and did something else.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:22 AM

I do this so much, that is why my stash is getting out of control.I am trying to stop buying this way. I also find myself doing this when I shop in my own stash. I was looking for a quilt back ( I have been piecing them to use it up) and the next thing I know I had another quilt cut out and a pile sitting there for 2 more quilts.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieSue View Post
This id why it's important to keep your will updated. The right person needs to inherit all this batting!
This is so true! My oldest DD is also a quilter so when we got shopping together, she tells me what she likes and doesn't like. I asked her why she did that and she told me "I'm the one who will inherit all your quilting and sewing stuff so I may as well like it." I had to laugh!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:51 AM

Yes! That's exactly what I do, too! That's how I've filled most of my cupboard with fabric I have no plan for. Will I stop? I doubt it!
Old 03-27-2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by DJ View Post
I discovered about a month ago that by checking out the discount table at a local fabric/craft store, I could save a lot on fabric. The trouble is that just for fun, I start picking out fabrics that I think would coordinate nicely for a quilt ... then without having a need or a plan for a specific quilt, I just buy some. Then, the other day, I had to go back and get one more piece and ended up selecting fabric for yet another quilt. That's not usually my MO, so I'm reeling at what it's costing me to save all that money!

TFL! I'm sure some of you can relate.
Missouri
Quilt Co had a half hexie ruler on sale for less than a dollar. OH BOY!! I wound up buying $101. dollars in fabric
to go with it. Saving money can get you in trouble. Brenda
Old 03-27-2014, 07:20 AM

The way I see it, the fabric will be used at some point and it saved you money or you got the fabric when you had a little bit extra, it might come in real handy later on down the line, just hope you didn't get any fabric that might get dated, I know I have been real happy to have it when I need to make a baby quilt and do not have to purchase more to have a ready gift.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:21 AM

My problem is not the fabric stores but the for sale items here on the board. I just can't stay away from that section even though I have so mucjh fabric that my friend said she is coming to my place to buy fabric. :~) OH HOW I LOVE FABRIC!