Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Saving Scrap pieces.... >

Saving Scrap pieces....

Saving Scrap pieces....

Old 04-26-2011, 05:47 AM

I think 2.5" squares are about the smallest I save. I let my scrap box pile up and then usually cut charms and strips. I usually sort by size after that.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by irma tapia
Originally Posted by QuiltE
For those who work with Crumbs .... how small is too small?
What do you do with your crumbs, I have a bunch :?: :P
More years ago than I like to think about, Nancy Ziemann did a show in which she used tiny pieces (crumbs) to make a woodsy scene; then she covered it with a sheer fabric and quilted it to hold it all in place. It was gorgeous, and I thought at the time that that was probably the most economical use of fabric I had ever seen. You might check her site and see if she still has anything like that. It was very interesting.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:44 AM

I save two and 1 half inch squares, nothing smaller. I make scrap quilts a lot. Diane C
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 AM

Thanks for this discussion. I am new to scrap quilts and I save anything that can be cut into a 2.5" square. I cut scraps into 2.5" x 5.5" first for a coin quilt. Then I cut smaller into the 2.5" square. I am sorry to say most of the rest gets thrown out. I store large pieces in a garbage can and then cut when I want to. When I first started saving scraps, my DH saw I had a partly full garbage can in my sewing room and threw them all out!! He was doing a good thing collecting trash, but I think I hyperventilated when I saw my scrap can was empty!! Thanks to the thrift shops around here and a friend who gives me her scraps I have a full can again.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

quilters! please consider using scraps to stuff dog and cat beds for shelters before you throw the scraps out.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 AM

Since I applique, I keep everything. I could use a good de-stashing of the scraps, I'm sure.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:40 AM

I can not thank all of you enough for all your imput....I am now asking my local friends for their scrapes and will start a crumb quilt soon. I just finished a labor filled crazy quilt on a foundation with extreme embroidery..... Crumb quilts seem like so much fun, I expect never to return to the labor intensive crazy quilts again.
It was interesting how each and every crumb quilt is differnet.....
Old 04-26-2011, 07:47 AM

All my scraps are sorted by widths. I have been going crazy making string quilts (they are now called Strata Quilts not string. I use pieces as small as 1" strips (not squares). I have made a 10.5" x 10.5" square quilt, already quilted, Blocks of 5.5" x 10.5", being quilted now and strips sewn together that are the width of Calculator tape (2.25"). I use the tape as the base. Have one colored and one in only blacks and whites (my piano keys). This is going to be used in a border somewhere.

I am having fun. I have even broken down and cut up some larger fabric to give me more strings. They don't even have to be the same width, can be 1" at one end and 2" at the other end. The smaller squares will eventually end up in 4 or 9 patches and worked in someplace. As long as I square the block when I finish have no trouble putting them together.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 AM

It depends on the kind of quilts you make. I've done some fused blocks, where I was cutting strips that were 3/8" wide and then cut triangles out of those. I know that sounds a bit insane, but I did do that. So I save strips that are an inch wide. Most fabric is kept together by color in plastic covered boxes in my sewing room.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:04 AM

Hello all... go to our search engine and type in "Mindless, Mindless, Mindless S & C" A few months ago Rosyhf posted this wonderful saga of a really neat quilt... I still have it bookmarked! You'll love it!!