Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
On a scale of 1-3, how serious are you?  JUST FOR FUN! >

On a scale of 1-3, how serious are you? JUST FOR FUN!

On a scale of 1-3, how serious are you? JUST FOR FUN!

Old 01-15-2012, 11:10 PM

i'm a 2 with strong leanings into 3dom. i'm definitely learning and don't expect to be a a recognized artist in the field, unless it's more like grandma moses than michaelangelo.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:53 AM

Never a 1. But I'm always striving for excellence.

Quilt police have the temerity to criticize other quilter's work.

Though I'm getting older, my piecing keeps getting better so therefore I am not over the hill yet.

Occasionally a 3 just for the challenge.

Just love ya'll.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:05 AM

No doubt that I am a #2. I like to do good work but I don't get "me nickers in a knot" if I find an error or oops that is small or can't be corrected without hours of ripping and recreating. I just chalk those errors up to lessons learned and look for improvement on the next quilt. It seems to work for me. I have learned to work more slowly and the old measure twice, cut once is part of my process now. I have also learned that when feeling tired or stressed to step away from the machine and ultimately save time correcting "stupid" errors.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 AM

Probably a high 2, pushing 3
Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 AM

I'm confused. Who ever said that we 1's (or is it us 1's? LOL) don't have fun quilting, that we don't create our own patterns or work 'spur of the moment' on new projects, scattering batiks as we go? Being serious about quilting and not accepting mistakes in your work, which was the criteria given by the OP, doesn't have any bearing on the relaxation, creativity, freedom of expression, innovation, exploration and pure joy I find in quilting. I don't stress about mistakes, I simply fix them. There's no 'knickers in a knot' about it.

We are not obsessive-compulsive, up-tight, never deviate from "the rules" perfectionists. Just because my work style and self-expectations differ from someone else's doesn't make them any better or worse...just different. It's who I am, who I have always been in everything I do.

(WMU Alum waving at WMUTeach )
Old 01-16-2012, 12:24 PM

1 or 2. I really try hard, and I make many mistakes, but I've learned the seam ripper is my friend, and a part of sewing. I enjoy the process much more that way. It's not the end of the world if I make a mistake I can't fix, but I try to be well organized and really think about what I'm doing so it turns out well. THe mistakes do become "design choices" at times. I agree with so many on the pet-peeves thread -- I make the most mistakes when I'm not concentrating!
Old 01-16-2012, 12:49 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]303734[/ATTACH] Aim for the center (#1) but be happy with your best shot.
Attached Thumbnails images-3.jpeg  
Old 01-16-2012, 12:50 PM

i'm a 2, definitely not a 1.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 PM

# 3 Love It!! with alittle bit of #2 LOL
Old 01-16-2012, 01:07 PM

Well, this is certainly time for a little introspection... definately a '2' but with a focus toward #1. If I know a mistake is there, I will correct it, no matter the time it takes to do so. I have been know to toss something into a basket with all its component pieces and they might stay there a very long time. But, eventually, always, I do get back to it, fix it and move forward. I am especially anal about this when it comes to my knitting (aran sweaters), no flaws allowed.

best,
d