Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
On a scale of 1-3, how serious are you?  JUST FOR FUN! >

On a scale of 1-3, how serious are you? JUST FOR FUN!

On a scale of 1-3, how serious are you? JUST FOR FUN!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
It's interesting to read these responses. Everyone seems to not want to be in the 1 category, which admittedly was described in a way that can be perceived in a negative light.
It's probably because, around here, the 1's are accused of being 'quilt police'.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
It's probably because, around here, the 1's are accused of being 'quilt police'.
You could have something there.

Plus, there seems to be the perception that striving for excellence robs the process of its joy or fun. This is definitely not true for me - I am very precise with some things because that's my nature. And like I said, it makes the work easier when it's going together neatly and evenly and precision and care results in a more professional look when it's done. I love putting the care into it - that is actually part of the fun of it. I wish I could care as much about the appearance of my studio because it's a wreck! It always looks like a tornado just blew through.

I don't care to judge what anyone else does with their quilting - this is what is fun and rewarding for me.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:13 PM

Well I stand in awe of the ones that focus on making everything perfect as possible, it just isn't in my make up. My dear friend is a 1, her quilts are just beautiful, full of details,every point matches perfectly. I guess that is why we all are diffrent in our styles and our work, our talents and our years of experience or lack of. I do try, but I fall around a 2, somedays it feels like a 3. This may change as I gain more experience too!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:15 PM

I love this board because there are all different levels of quilters on it....and I agree it's a relaxed atmosphere.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:25 PM

Wink

I love the patterns and the pictures. I cut them out and save them for ideas. Then- - - it is anyone's guess what happens. For some reason I can't seem to follow a pattern all the way. I JUST have to put my own -I love the term "design element"-into the quilt. It always seems to work out-sort of-LOL.

I try for 2-will never be a 1-I think there should be a 4-what was that 60's term-oh yeah-"free spirit"
Old 01-14-2012, 07:51 PM

between 2 and 3...I try to be as perfect as possible, but perfection is a losing battle. And my stuff is definitely everywhere!! I have two plastic storage towers full, and couple lugs, a sewing desk and my cutting table is covered with a diaper bag in progress. My next focus is split 3 ways: pick up and organize, finish the diaper bag in progress and keep my darn cat off of my fabric, especially the batting!!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:52 PM

I'd say I'm more a 2 with a little 3 thrown in just for the fun of it!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:06 PM

I'm most definitely a 1, not just in quilting but in anything I do. My father was the same way - not sure if I learned it or inherited it.

I envy those who are more relaxed about things than I am, but I just can't do it. As someone else said, though, it doesn't make me the quilt police. I'm just talking about things that I make.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:14 PM

well 2 and 3
Old 01-14-2012, 08:16 PM

I am all of them depending on what I am working on! Not very often a 1.