Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scant 1/4" >

Scant 1/4"

Scant 1/4"

Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 AM

Could someone please tell me what is a scant 1/4"? I don't do scant. It is always 1/4" for a seam. Am I breaking a law or something????? Edie
Old 04-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Banned

No you are not breaking the law by not sewing with a scant 1/4" seam. The scant is usually one click to the left or right of the center point of the needle. It is used to accommodate the amount of fabric a fold would take up which then makes the finished two pieces more accurate. It really doesn't matter is you are sewing squares or rectangles but might make a differance in fitting if you are piecing other shapes. It is always good to test your seam allowances before piecing to make sure the seam allowances taken make the pieces fit. If you are using one of the quarter inch feet for your machine then it is good to actually measure to make sure it is giving you an accurate seam allowance. All fee are not manufactured the same.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:01 AM

No laws! I started out using the edge of my foot as a guide, as long as all my blocks were done that way they matched perfectly, Only problem I found was in doing swaps my blocks were coming out a little smaller so I had to move my needle over two clicks-Problem solved. Your blocks will be a tad bit smaller but I found it didn't matter, it was consistency that was the key.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Either 2 clicks to the right to move the needle, or 2 fabric threads to the right of what a 1/4" would be.

A number of us here have noticed that to get a 12 1/2" unfinished block using Quilters Cache patterns, we must use a scant 1/4".

I like to test out a block. If it has 4 components, I will sew them and then measure to see if they are correct, if not, then I adjust my seams accordingly, before assembling the rest of the block. Older patterns seem to like a full 1/4" newer ones a scant :roll: but sashing and other parts that aren't pieced, are based on the pieced blocks being the correct size :wink:
Old 04-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Nope not breaking any laws, but like Amma said watch some of the patterns :shock: I found out the "hard" way that quilterscaches is scant :hunf: Just press and measure and see how they work up :thumbup:

I agree why say 1/4" inch and then change the rules to a "scant" , my machine doesn't adjust 1 or 2 clicks :?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Nope not breaking any laws, but like Amma said watch some of the patterns :shock: I found out the "hard" way that quilterscaches is scant :hunf: Just press and measure and see how they work up :thumbup:

I agree why say 1/4" inch and then change the rules to a "scant" , my machine doesn't adjust 1 or 2 clicks :?
my machine doesn't adjust that way either
Old 04-18-2010, 11:24 AM

I'm just curious. What types of machine have needles that can be adjusted 1 to 2 clicks? I can't do that on my machine and have never heard of it.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:29 AM

Same here. Curious.

I just came across a tip, tried and it worked on my machine.
Using a lined index card, sew down the line and the one after that. They are exactly 1/4" apart. Adjust your settings if not. (Or if you don't have a 1/4" foot to go by.)
Old 04-18-2010, 11:30 AM

My newer Brother se350 has it my older machines did not. So maybe it is just newer machines.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:31 AM

I can only answer for mine....which is a Janome. I can move the needle one or two clicks... :)