Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scappy Quilt Question

I have always been interested in Stained Glass, but have never actually taking a class. I found a "quilting book" on stained glass patterns. Got so excited; and, am in the process of doing a Cat wall hanging for my elderly aunt who had to give up her cats. Anyway, I started looking at stained glass patterns on-line. There are 1000's - and, you can change the size.

This is a great way to get unusual designs for quilts. Thought I might try a scrappy quilt this way. Has anyone ever used one of these patterns to make a quilt?

I love scrappy, the more fabrics used, the happier I am. But it has to be an organized scrappy with a pattern and a neutral color to pull it together.

I save 2.5" x 4.5" scraps in a bag. Then when I have time I use white 2.5" squares and make a Bright Hopes pattern. Sometimes it gets sashed with the neutral color. Makes a quick charity quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    It's up to you really, some people want a "controlled" scrappy and others do "every color" scrappy. You don't have to do a certain block though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I LOVE scrappy quilts and make more scrappy quilts than themed ones. One of my favorite and easy to make with HST's is the Depression block. It is easy because I put a light fabric against a dark fabric for the HST's, then I fill a paper bag that I can't see through and pull out the HST's randomally to make each block. Here is the pattern site. http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DepressionBlock.html This is a free pattern and a great way to use up bunches of scraps.
    Julia

I started scrappy quilting this summer and my first was just 2 inch squares, random colors and order and it came out much better than I expected. It's not an impressive quilt, but I feel I can use it as a utility quilt. It is riding around in my car for emergencies, cold days at an outdoor event or heaven forbid, stalled in a snow storm.

My other scrappy quilts were more planned but not much more. I guess I need to post some photos but.....I haven't taken any of them yet. (Four tops finished but not quilted)

I have seen some exquisite scrappy quilts on this site. You just would never have guessed that they were made from the odds and ends of other work.

Bottom line, as we often hear on this site... "It is your quilt, do what pleases YOU." Have fun with your planning and I look forward to seeing your efforts some time soon.

I think mine must fall into the "controlled" scrappy group--I don't really intend it that way, but when my strip piecing is done, there is usually a dominant color scheme.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    or scrappy 9 patches and snowballs...or scrappy 9 patches you can turn into Disappearing 9 patches...

My sister and I each made a "string quilt" with our scraps. Turned out great! :D

Some people put all scraps in a bag and sew by pulling scraps out randomly. I sit down, empty my scraps and FQ and pull out the color groups or by theme like 1930 I want to use. So mine are controlled scrappies. Once I have a good amount of scrappies gathered I spread them out and squint to see if any pop in a bad way or if it looks like it will give the result I am looking for.

I do like scrappy quilts. I make both controlled scrappies and random scrappies. They all have turned out nice. Sometimes I use a certain pattern and make all of the blocks a different color or sometimes it is just random.
    Scrappy quilts is a great way to use up scraps, but they seem to multiply like crazy!

I love the scrappy quilt photos that have been posted.

Beautiful!

Those are the kind I like, an organized scrappy. The ones I dont like are those that are just helter skelter and look like a dark mess.

LOVE THIS SITE !!!! I have found out that I have fallen in love with SCRAPPY QUILTS !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    Try this site for inspiration: http://quiltville.com/

Bonnie has tons of free patterns on the right hand side.

The new Fons & Porter has a wonderful 1/2 square scrappy that I want to do!

I love scrappy quilts and I have this one in progress. It's the same design as Patches and Pinwheels from quiltville.com but in a bigger size. Same as the one DebraK posted but in more muted colors. I'm using my stash for everything except borders.

I have a book by Lynn Roddy Brown called Simple Strategies for Scrap Quilts and I have found it helpful in learning to rely on value rather than color for a scrappy quilt. The one in the photo is from her book. This is about half of it...will be queen size when it gets borders, etc. It's been fun to piece but I used the Triangulations pdf file for the half-square triangles as those are always a challenge for me.

Scrappy based on values rather than colors
    Name:  Attachment-273945.jpe
Views: 22
Size:  62.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
    I like the controlled scrappy look, like the one in my avatar. It's got all whites and blacks in the pinwheels and brighter mediums everywhere else. (Bonnie Hunter's Patches and Pinwheels pattern, free from her www.quiltville.com website.)

I usually start by finding a pattern that I like. Then I decide on what sort of feel I want the quilt to have. Do I want a bright happy kid quilt? Or a dark masculine quilt? Or a vibrant autumnal quilt?

When I decide on that, then I can go and choose scraps and FQs and strips that fit the theme. (I have some precut strips --2 inch and 2 1/2 and 3 inch strips--, so I have a good start on cutting. That helps move the process along.)

I pull a lot of different prints. Like a couple hundred. Most of my quilts have more than 200 different fabrics in them. I just like seeing how the fabrics play nicely together. My avatar quilt has modern Kaffe Fassett and Amy Butler fabrics, reproduction prints, kid novelty prints, Asian fabric, food fabrics like cherries and berries, batiks, you name it--it's in there.

To me, more is more. And it's so much easier if you have many different prints, because it's less likely that you'll end up with patches of the same fabric in blocks right next to each other!

Good luck. Please post when you finish. I love to see scrappy quilts!
    I too am a controller. I have a simple quilt up on the design wall and I can't get the pinks to quit gathering in one place. I get so frustrated when it isn't balance. I wish I wasn't but we have to go with what God gave us......

Well, Thanks CHELE--
    That is one fun webiste--- holy cow!! kinda got lost there for awhile :}

I would pair a random light with a random dark and make a ton of HSTs. Then play with a design to use them!! Before you know it you will have enough to make something.

I've had fun doing the color selection by putting fabrics in a brown paper sack and just reach in and pull one out. You can put your lights in one bag and darks in another bag.
    Robin in TX

I agree. Quiltville.com is a wonderful site to see lots of beautiful scrap quilts. Bonnie also has written 3 or 4 books that might assist you in getting started.

Blog Entries

I agree. She has wonderful scrappies and shows others also. Her patterns aren't difficult.

ETA: I'm currently in love with this scrappy, By Izy. SHe has hints and instructions on pg 23...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-152842-1.htm[/quote]

Wow!! That is a great quilt! I see some of my scraps in there! lol This is how I like to make my quilts...everything but the kitchen sink!

You guys are the Best!!!! I have SO many ideas for a Scrappy now! I cannot wait to get going on it!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

that's how I did my first scrappy. I thinks it looks better when you don't put a lot of thought into which piece looks better next to another, you just pick pieces from your pile no matter what size,shape, or color

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    I have always wanted to do a scrappy quilt. Just how do you decide how to start it? I have seen some gorgeous quilts and want to use half triangles. Do you start with a theme of color or just sew it up until it's done and see what you get? I don't know why i am having such trouble getting started with this. I have the scraps but no pattern ideas. Any advise?
    I usually make log cabin quilts from my scraps, so I cut them into 1.5" strips and separate into lights and darks. (Some of the mediums wind up in both groups.) Eventually I go through the 1.5" strips and cut them into the lengths for a log cabin block (1.5", 2.5", 3.5"...9.5"). These get stored in silverware dividers that I got at Wal-Mart. When I'm ready to start the quilt, I just pull out the pre-cut pieces and start sewing. I don't try to control what fabric goes next to another, except by value.

This post shows my sorting system: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23612-1.htm

I am doing a scrappy Bargello, it was a free online pattern. good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2