Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: SCARED TO BUY......

I recently got a settlement for a car wreck-not a whole lot and I still haven't found a job yet. I saw a Juki machine LA, with aluminum stand, stitch regulator,and QAC program, and about eight feet with it and plastic patterns for the stylus to follow, its all for $2700.00 does that sound good? I have sweatted over this for days, is there a better deal out there? Linda

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Got to be honest here, why are you looking to spend that much money if you are working yet?

'Got to agree with this response. Prioritize! In this economy, there will always be a deal to be had. Take care of your family first.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Got to be honest here, why are you looking to spend that much money if you are working yet?

Are you considering using the machine to generate extra cash while you job hunt?

I would hang on to my cash for now....

I didn't think Juki made long arms? What model is this? If it's only a 9" throat I wouldn't pay that price for it. Job or no.

Think I would feed myself before I bought a LA...

Blog Entries
    I agree, with no job I would be scared to death to spend money for this. I don't mean to be a downer, this economy is just scary right now.

First off, Jukis are not longarms. If you're thinking about doing longarming as a business, you need to buy a real longarm to attract most customers. (No offense to Juki owners, because it is a very good sewing machine.) And yes, there is ALWAYS a better deal out there if you wait long enough. Unless I had enough money in the bank to tide me over for at least 2 years, I would follow the advice already given and find a job first, and then I would make sure that job was going to last for a while before spending any "fun" money. (2 years because it can easily take that long to find a job in this economy.)

It might be a good deal if you had steady employment. Keep the money. There will always be machines out there waiting for you once you get a job.

It might be a good deal if you had steady employment. Keep the money. There will always be machines out there waiting for you once you get a job.

Blog Entries
    search in yahoo groups for a Long Arm group. Juki if you can find it. also just search about this unit and see if you can find any chats. good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I didn't think Juki made long arms? What model is this? If it's only a 9" throat I wouldn't pay that price for it. Job or no.
    ditto! I have a similar set-up (9" throat) Paid less than $1500 new.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    CJ"s got a good head on her shoulders, gotta say I agree
    David

Does yours have the computer and the stitch regulator?

To Debby does yours have a stitch regulator and a computer? (sorry for double message) this machine I found at www.sewingmachinesplus.com they list it as a longarm, I couldn't find a description that told inches and it didn't look longarmed.

It isn't a longarm. It is a midarm. And I would look for a better deal if you had the money. Unfortunately I agree with eveRyone else, you should wait to buy. My hubby and I both have good jobs, daughter works 2 part time and goes to college full time and I am still waiting to get a longarm. If you can't pay your electric bill...that machine isn't gonna work. ;)

Jim
    No idea if that a good price....because there are so many questions that need to be asked...how old?..has there been maintenance problems?...how many hours usuage already on the machine?...is it a long arm or mid arm?...another thing is..if you are looking at this to supplement your income...its not a dependable income...it takes a long time to build up your clientele...and its a hit and miss business meaning you may have 4 quilts one month and 12 a month closer to Christmas and none other months. Also as a long arm quilter you are not going to get rich, you just have to love doing it. Some people can't stand long enough and have to have a sit down type of setup...so many variables to consider..hope this helps and good luck

To Jim, It is a new machine-it looked like a good deal to me after going on Craigslist. But I am going to wait to buy one, I don,t have many bills, I'll just wait on the machine, although my son is getting married in April and I did want to give them a quilt, and I do not want to quilt by hand-never! Also, the stories I hear on here about sending out to LA'rs and the disappointment. Linda(chichimamma)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chichimamma
    To Jim, It is a new machine-it looked like a good deal to me after going on Craigslist. But I am going to wait to buy one, I don,t have many bills, I'll just wait on the machine, although my son is getting married in April and I did want to give them a quilt, and I do not want to quilt by hand-never! Also, the stories I hear on here about sending out to LA'rs and the disappointment. Linda(chichimamma)
    Of course you hear about the disappointments of LA quilters, just like you hear about the disappointments of machines and anything else. You can find a good longarm quilter you just need to do your research and get plenty of information.

You don't need a long arm to quilt one quilt with. For 2,700.00 you could have alot of them quilted!!!l

Featherweight, I know, but I have people already wanting me to do their quilts (which I told them I would Have to get good at first) and I have seven quilt tops my GGM left me, and I just LOVE quilts!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    save your money....it took me a year to get a job after being laid off...this is the time to be frugal. Use all of the scraps to keep you busy between sending out thousand of resumes.

Quote Originally Posted by chichimamma
    Featherweight, I know, but I have people already wanting me to do their quilts (which I told them I would Have to get good at first) and I have seven quilt tops my GGM left me, and I just LOVE quilts!!!!!!!
    I can hear the disappointment in your voice. It is hard to do without something you really want, especially if you have the money right now to pay for it, although you know you shouldn't buy it. Look at this as an opportunity to do more research into various types of longarms/midarms, and promise yourself that you will get one when the time is right.

My vote is to wait, too.

Unless I'm overlooking something, I also think the price can be beat. In June I bought a brand new Juki (the better one), a Grace Mini Penni frame (metal; goes up to queen size), stitch regulator, software that makes designs for you to follow, extra bobbins, thread, and extra needles for a little over $1,900, shipped right to my door.

I decided not get the plastic templates, but they were just $200 or so.

Hang onto your money for now, and once things get settled down, then go shopping ... and look for better deals in the meantime! :thumbup:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast