Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
scared to cut scraps >

scared to cut scraps

scared to cut scraps

Old 10-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

Unhappy scared to cut scraps

O.k. so its been awhile since i tackeled that monster in the ugly green tote.
I NEED to make a dew scrap quilts.
Heres my problem... i love applique, and it never fails, i need an itsy, bitsy, tiny pc of fab...uou know, the one that just right to cut ( you need a 1" x 1/2" pc to make that scene POP off that quilt, so you go at it with your sharpest scissors.
Its perfect. Then nextweek, without any notice at all you ned that bigger pc dor another block...dont know where you got it,cant replqce it.
So....you see, my delima is, if i cut it, i will need it.
How do you cut That fabric?
ive made over 100 scrap quilts, but now that i can semi afford to buy fabs on sales w coupons, im afrais to cur.
actully bought 20 fq at joanns to make a scrap quilt for cousin for the holidays.

Sooooo, what do i do??????
Help
Old 10-31-2012, 08:45 PM

When making a scrappy quilt and you don't have enough of a fabric to use in 2 blocks just find another piece that is closest to it, that is the beauty of scrap quilts, you just use what you have. Don't worry about it too much as I am sure it will look great, just go for it.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:13 PM

Never look back. Don't even think about it. Just cut, sew and have fun.
When you need a piece of fabric, look through the other pile that you haven't cut.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Power Poster

Been thinking...can you smell the wood burning

Maybe ill cut a 2 1/2" strip out of everything and do a mile a minute deal.
ill still have a mess of fab left, but i guess ill
Feel better about it.
then ill have to get something new to back it.
ihave 6" x 18" laurelburch fabs i wont dare touuch.

Last edited by lynnie; 10-31-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:00 PM

i have finally come to realize that no matter how special i think a fabric is another one will come right along and take its place. there is always more out there. now i do not have to buy something just because i really, really think it is beautiful. i can cut a piece up because there will be another out there that i will love just as much.

as they say, "just do it." oh, yea, have some fun.

now, having said all that i have a different problem about cutting scraps. if i cut them into 5" sq, then i need a 6" sq. if i cut it into 2-1/2" strips, then i need a 4" strip. so, now i do not cut scraps until i know what i will do with it. but cut it i do with gladness in my heart.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:16 AM

I share your problem - that and being a bit of a hoarder too
I too, save a lot of odd-shaped pieces for appliqué and find it difficult to part with them "just in case", lol. However I have been better lately and I used up a lot of scraps to make a load of tissue holders for fund-raising for my friend's daughter. It cheered me that they were going to a 'good cause' and made the parting easier. I'm going to get rid of more by doing some charity quilts.

I laughed at your Laurel Burch comment until I remembered my 30+ Kaffe Fassett OOP FQs.......

Pat - good advice. I'm going to use those FQs and enjoy doing so!
Old 11-01-2012, 02:11 AM

I have been blessed with friends who gift me their scraps... I LOVE SCRAPS!!! I too used to cut them all up, and wonder the whole time "what if I want this for something else next week?"... Now, I cut and sew, and know that somehow, they seem to multiply like wire coat hangers or dust bunnies when left alone lol...

I do sometimes cut "ala Bonnie Hunter"... usually that is my project when I am working as a camp nurse... I have time to kill, and that is an easy project to iron and cut and it allows me to walk (RUN) away if I am needed "right this minute" -- I just can't see mindless cutting when I am here at home and have my sewing machine. The precut pieces do allow me to just sit and sew when the mood strikes... (the pic I posted earlier this week, was the result of a friend gifting me a bag of scraps and the precut pieces she had included allowed me to put together a crib size quilt in 2 days time!!!)

so.... the bottom line??? Cut them up, sew and enjoy!!! There will always be some other piece of fabric that fits right into your scrap quilt...

ENJOY!!!
Faye
Old 11-01-2012, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
I share your problem - that and being a bit of a hoarder too
I too, save a lot of odd-shaped pieces for appliqué and find it difficult to part with them "just in case", lol. However I have been better lately and I used up a lot of scraps to make a load of tissue holders for fund-raising for my friend's daughter. It cheered me that they were going to a 'good cause' and made the parting easier. I'm going to get rid of more by doing some charity quilts.

I laughed at your Laurel Burch comment until I remembered my 30+ Kaffe Fassett OOP FQs.......

Pat - good advice. I'm going to use those FQs and enjoy doing so!
Glad to see I'm not the only Kaffe Fassett "saver"
Old 11-01-2012, 03:37 AM

I have been thinking about this myself. A few weeks ago I saw a bed peel and the instructor showed some scrap quilts. What she said is she cuts all her scraps into 10', 5' blocks and 2 1/2' strips. Then when she sews she will just grab from what ever comes to her. I have to admit her quilts looked very nice. I wonder it I could do that too?
Old 11-01-2012, 04:12 AM

Like you there's "special" fabric that I just really like. It's hard to cut it and use it up. Still, I remind myself.. they're making fabric EVERY day. Plus, those scraps don't do me a bit of good sitting in a box.