Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scared of my longarm machine >

Scared of my longarm machine

Scared of my longarm machine

Old 01-21-2013, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
Thats ok, just take the machine off of it and the rollers, throw a table cloth over it and use it as a buffet table with all your favorite sewing snackables, make sure to invite plenty of friends, thats a long buffet table! LOL...

Now get in there and load something on that frame and don't you come back till you have something to show us! You know you want to! We've all posted our quilts of shame and disappointment. Put on some music and just dance your way across that quilt. Don't make me pull out the book "The little engine that could". Go on now....we are waiting..
Oh I so agree! You've been given some great advice here. That first quilt you load is the most intimidating. Doesn't matter whether it's an actual quilt or not, it just kind of dares you to do anything with it! Just grab those handles & start quilting. As others have said, none of us turned out perfect quilts in the beginning, we just keep going & trying to get what we have in our minds come out on the quilt. Put on some music & dance with your machine. Just for grins, I entered one of my practice quilts into our local show & it came home with a ribbon! I was just playing around & having fun! You can do it! Post us pictures of your progress, we've all been doing that & watched the evolution of some great quilting.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 AM

I have a Tin Lizzie that my husband got me last summer and it took me a few months to get comfortable with it. I just
kept practicing off and on and now I'm comfortable with it and have my first quilt almost done, should finish it today. Just hang in there and you'll soon be comfortable with it.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:56 AM

I love my LA>>>The mid arm machine I had before it hated me and rebelled allllll the time. I moved up and now "Wally" (a Martelli Lacreasta) and I are in love. It takes time and patience. Just go for it. Make practice junk, give it to the pound for the dog cages and keep going. One bright and glorious day it will all come together and you will be in love. But you have to date first. Get in there and play.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:58 AM

First, I am envious that you have a long arm... I recently took a class on a beautiful AQS at a LQS, after you take the lesson, you are permitted to rent it by the hour. We first practiced on a solid piece of material with contrast thread so we could clearly see the stitches then I FMQ'd two table runners and really had a ball once I got in the groove.

You'll be just fine!
Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 AM

When I first got my LA I used got a big piece of felt from the fabric store and loaded that. I Practiced, practiced and practiced on that. I think every inch is covered. It is really inexpensive and gets your muscle memory going. I keep that piece not just to see how far I've come but every once in a while I see a pattern I did that inspires me for the piece I am doing now. I agree about using two very different colors of thread so that you can see how your tension is doing. I would also get a couple of different brands of thread and try them out because some machines are a little temper mental with certain threads. What machine did you get????
Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by OKLAHOMA PEACH View Post
Try one of your LQS that give lessons, with guidance maybe the fear will be taken away.
Ya know you could just spend some time there and ask if you could just watch for a while. I get a lot more out of watching than I can reading about it. Of course thats just me
Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 AM

I am trying to work through the same feelings that you are experiencing. I was watching a QNN tv eipsode recently and learned about Skill Builders. http://www.rgadesignquilts.com/store...products_id=16 I think I will try this as a jumping off place to practice.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 AM

Just jump in feet first , and keep telling yuourself I CAN DO THIS, I CAN DO THIS!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 AM

DonnaR. I understand where you are coming from. I have a short arm and was afraid of it. All the advise you got is great and I know I still am not good. but better than I was at first. I have 2 quilts to do for my granddaughters for their gratuation and I am not sure I should try my quilting machine, I have had it sence July, or just do it buy hand. I quess I'll just practice some more.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 PM

When I first got my LA, we lived in a 90 y/o house, in the country and everyting got covered in dust faster than I dusted, so I wanted it protected. I bought 90" wide muslin long enought to completly cover the table & machine x2. Sandwiched it with batting and loaded that machine. I practiced all kinds of pantos, FMQ and so did my friends. We had a lot of fun. I'd go over the same stitches several times, then roll it up and have a fresh go of it. By the time I'd quilted 5 yards of muslin I was ready to quilt any charity quilts the guild had. Many years later, I still am learning. But, my circles are round, not rounded off squares, I can tell when there's a thread problem from the sound of the machine, and I've got a great spread for Gretchen. Oh! Yeh! We're on a first name basis!