Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
scared to start >

scared to start

scared to start

Old 06-27-2010, 06:37 PM

just curious. My apologies to the original poster. I've had the 'afraid to start' syndrome too. Mine is usually related to the uninterrupted time I'll have to work on it. Sometimes stops and starts are frustrating to me.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:43 PM

do you have a log cabin ruler i used one when i made my uneven log cabin and had no problem---when i made my schetch i wrote the letter that needed to be cut in each strip
Old 06-27-2010, 07:17 PM

The foundations will help is you're using scraps or flimsy fabric for the log cabin blocks but if you're using good quality fabric and have accurately cut your strips, you'll do fine.

I agree to go ahead and do one block without the foundation. If that works out, keep going. Remember to organize your strips so you won't grab the wrong color at the wrong time.

My log cabin blocks are made with all my leftover blue & white scraps so foundation piecing is the only accurate way for mine.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:36 PM

I put the kids to bed and started ironing. I think I will grab some scraps and make a block in the morning and get started on it.

Thanks everyone!

If you let the starch set and kinda dry out a little bit it doesn't flake nor muck up your iron either. I always starch the back of the fabric and then iron the front after it has set for about a half hour folded up. I normally starch before dinner and iron after. lol folding it up keeps it from drying all the way but you don't have that sizzle if you are using a dry iron either. Sizzle scares me also. lol
Old 06-27-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
I put the kids to bed and started ironing. I think I will grab some scraps and make a block in the morning and get started on it.

Thanks everyone!

If you let the starch set and kinda dry out a little bit it doesn't flake nor muck up your iron either. I always starch the back of the fabric and then iron the front after it has set for about a half hour folded up. I normally starch before dinner and iron after. lol folding it up keeps it from drying all the way but you don't have that sizzle if you are using a dry iron either. Sizzle scares me also. lol
Thank you for the starching explanation. It just never occurred to me to let it go that long. Good luck with the quilt. I'll bet you do just fine.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Google Goddess

wish you luck, keep us posted on how you are getting along
Old 06-27-2010, 08:19 PM

The longer you put it off, the harder it'll be. GET STARTED! hint: when I did my log cabin, I discovered I had to be VERY organized...lay the fabrics out after cutting, in the order in which they go on the block. Also, I read this, don't know for sure, but an article said you always go either clockwise or counterclockwise. Maybe someone can verify that. Be sure to cut accurately and sew 1/4" all the time.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:10 PM

If not now, when?

Just do it.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:10 AM

Its only fabric, no blood inv olved (if you're careful lol). You can do it! I know you can! A glass of ine always helps me. :)
Old 06-28-2010, 05:04 AM

Do a practice block or two.

If you're making printed copies, make sure you have all the copies you need made at the same time on the same copier so they're all the same size.

Good luck - post a picture when you make your first one. We're waiting!