Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
scissors approved for air travel >

scissors approved for air travel

scissors approved for air travel

Old 02-08-2011, 01:34 PM

Well, this topic sure brought alot of responses! In summary, It appears somewhat to be at the whim of the security officers, and where your going thru. I am certainly not going to try to get away with anything, and I wanted to be fairly sure I was going to follow the laws and not create problems-that's why I posed the question. I will plan to bring a dental floss container (I have a Johnson & Johnson) with a thin spool of thread in it, and a small needle (maybe a sz 9 between) and put it in my clear plastic tote with my hexagons and place it in the tray with my shoes to go thru screaning and hope for the best. I will pack scissors and more needles in my baggage. Thanks for all your suggestions-
Old 02-08-2011, 01:37 PM

If the TSA website says 4", I'm surprised. I am a flight attendant. 2 1/4" inches, rounded tip is all they let through. Narita (Japan) took my "baby" fiskars. I would suggest a pair of nail clippers or kids' scissors to be safe.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Those tsa regulations work for the US, but if you leave from a Canadian city, put them in your checked baggage. They only allow scissors with rounded ends. I lost a nice pair of pointed Gingher scissors to the Canadians.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:17 PM

You might want to print a copy mof the TSA rules regarding scissors and carry them with you.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:37 PM

Children's blunt end Fiskars are good, and they actually cut!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Cyn

I have those scissors that fold up and aren't big at all. Needles haven't been a problem for me. We're going to Spain next month so I hope my luck continues :)
Old 02-08-2011, 04:22 PM

Just keep in mind, though, that it's always up to the discretion of the TSA officer in question. The rules are only guidelines, and are not a way of defending what you want to take aboard. They just help travelers know ahead of time what they can likely expect.

Originally Posted by BobbiG
You might want to print a copy mof the TSA rules regarding scissors and carry them with you.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:22 PM

These are WAY cool - gave them as stocking stuffers this past Christmas:

http://www.newarkdress.com/ss208.html

They should pass muster without a problem.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:58 PM

I understand security, yet I feel it is so very sad our world has had to come to this place. :)
Old 02-08-2011, 09:05 PM

I realize this is going to be a very unpopular post - but it also needs to be stated. It's not only up to TSA to enforce the rules (and agreeably many times they fail) - but it also falls on the flight attendants/flightcrew as well. If TSA fails at their job - and then the Flight Attendant/(s) see something that is a restricted item per TSA, it will get confiscated (if the flight attendant is doing their job properly) and that is entirely within their power and duties. If TSA ultimately fails... the buck gets passed onto the FA's who will enforce the rules - as they are ultimately responsible for ensuring security, safety and integrity onboard any aircraft they are on and qualified to operate. (This will even apply off duty). While this is never an ideal position to be in as an FA, rules are rules. ;) Hence - why it is very much appreciated that the travelling public educate themselves of the rules and of what is allowed and what is otherwise prohibited, so that conflict can be entirely avoided with respect to these issues inflight. Please remember your friendly FA's... just doing their jobs as required by federal law and federal aviation regulations. ;)

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress