Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
scissors approved for air travel >

scissors approved for air travel

scissors approved for air travel

Old 02-07-2011, 05:52 AM

I bought a pair at WalMart---about $7, they're heavy plastic and short. Look like kids' toy scissors but they work very well and no problems at airports.
Good luck, Kutnso
Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 AM

I have taken my small embroidery scissors -less than 5" and had no problem. I too was working on a paper piecing project.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:20 AM

I fly all over the world and the rules are different everywhere you go. I've had tiny applique pins confiscated in some countries. I have a pair of kindergarten scissors with blunt tips and they go through everywhere. If all I want is to cut thread, they work fine. I have also used a pair of scissors design for cutting baby's fingernails which are also blunt but longer. They seem to be OK as well. I have never had anyone question a needle.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:27 AM

I have a medalion that I wear around my neck that has a circular blade in it. (Maybe that's the clover item mentioned earlier.) Anyway, most quilt stores and other fabric stores carry them. It cuts threads just fine. the plastic needle threaders also have a cutter on them.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:29 AM

Don't know if it was mentioned, didn't have time to search the entire thread, but it is my understanding that the clover type cutter (which has a small encased blade) is not allowed.

The TSA site says this under special items: Knitting Needles and Needle point:

Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage.

Items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside which cannot go through the checkpoint and must go in your checked baggage.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 AM

Clover or Fons and Porter thread cutter is what I take. I have never had any problems with needles. I never carry scissors on board. My husband had his 40 year old cross pen conviscated stating that it was thin enough to be used as a weapon. He really misses that pen....They said they would mail it back to him for $25! He had already been through two other check ins in Chicago and New York with the pen and no problems. Depends on the inspector I guess. I always have to be hand scanned due to underwires in bra. I don't understand taking off sweaters and jackets if the metal detectors are working? They don't make the the middle eastern ladies take off the long flowing garments that cover them from head to toe....no rhyme or reason sometimes.
D in TX
Old 02-07-2011, 07:08 AM

I have a very pretty pendant that has a cutting edge in the design. Some LQS's carry them. I think it was less than $10. You have to buy a chain for it separately.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 AM

When we travel that is how I do it and never have any trouble. I always make sure I put my scissors in with my shoes(not in the shoes) leave them out in plain sight so they can see them and not think you are hiding something. I have never had any problems. If snips work for you they would be great to take. As long as the blades are 4" or less they should be fine.
Originally Posted by amma
Scissors with blades less than 4" are allowed, per TSA's website.

Last time I traveled, my scissors measured 3 1/2" and I got pulled over at every check point and my carryons were searched.

I advise bringing the smallest scissors possible, take them out of the bag and put them in the container with your shoes to be scanned, and then you should go right on through :D:D:D

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

PS I always check this site the day before I travel, to make sure there haven't been any changes :wink:
Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 AM

Metal detectors don't catch everything, as not all items of concern are made of metal. Also, many bras use plastic "underwires," so I'm sure you could find one to wear when traveling if you are concerned.

Also, the burqua isn't allowed to be removed in public, which is the reason it's worn to begin with. It is my understanding that women are sometimes asked to remove them, but it is done in private in order to respect their religious beliefs.

Originally Posted by Lady Diana
Clover or Fons and Porter thread cutter is what I take. I have never had any problems with needles. I never carry scissors on board. My husband had his 40 year old cross pen conviscated stating that it was thin enough to be used as a weapon. He really misses that pen....They said they would mail it back to him for $25! He had already been through two other check ins in Chicago and New York with the pen and no problems. Depends on the inspector I guess. I always have to be hand scanned due to underwires in bra. I don't understand taking off sweaters and jackets if the metal detectors are working? They don't make the the middle eastern ladies take off the long flowing garments that cover them from head to toe....no rhyme or reason sometimes.
D in TX
Old 02-07-2011, 07:50 AM

I take my handquilting with me on the plane. I travel a couple of times a year. I carry a pair of children's scissors with the rounded ends. Only once was I questioned about them. You certainly can't do much damage with them.