Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scissors or rotary cutter? >

Scissors or rotary cutter?

Scissors or rotary cutter?

Old 12-24-2010, 07:31 AM

I am still fairly new to quilting. I did buy a rotary cutter, but I didn't have the strenght in my hands to use it. ( had joint replacement surgery on both hands.) I found a Martelli rotary cutter a a garage sale new in the package for $ 2.00. Had nothing to loose so I bought it. it's the best cutter for me. It's different and I don't need much strenght to use it. Thats all I am using. Love it. Liz from the Big Sky Country.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:02 AM

I just finished my first 6 months of quilting. My last quilt is in the box ready to wrap.

Since I am new at this I use my sissors a lot . Not very good with cuttes.
Any questions on how to have the ruler move when using the cutter? I feel like use to much pressure and can't do it for long.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:26 AM

Rotary cutter for me, use my scissors to clip threads.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:27 AM

rotary cutter always!!! I rarely use scissors except to cut threads.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:33 AM

If rotary cutters didn't exist, I probably wouldn't be a quilter. Cutting fabric patterns, with a scissors, is my least favorite part of sewing clothing. I've bought several brands of rotary cutters. Started out w/ Olfa, then ergonomic Olfa in 45mm and then 60mm. Then discovered Martelli's, which is easiest to use sitting down and doesn't make my hand sore after using it while pp for several hours. I still have my large Gingher's shears, but don't use it much anymore. I do use small scissors for snipping threads, even though I do have a scissors feature on my sewing machine. My cutting mats sit on my sewing table all the time.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:11 AM

Rotary cutter for me. They provide perfect cut quilt pieces.
Scissors just can't get the perfection the rotary cutters can.
Seldom use scissors except to trim the stabilizer on my machine embroidery.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:12 AM

Why make more work for yourself by using scissors when you can cut much faster and with more accuracy with a rotary cutter. Of course if you are not used to using one and a ruler it might take some practice so that your ruler doesn't slip but definitely the better way to go for me.
I use small scissors to cut threads and that's about it.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Flour Sack Mama
I still have scissors. If I decide to invest in a rotary cutter, do I need to be concerned about the brand to get a certain quality?
Not really. I have used all that are on the market and keep going back to the one I started with ...Fiskars ...one of the least expensive.

In answer to scissors or rotary cutter....I am truly hooked and use the rotary cutter for not only fabric, but a host of other things (cardboard, plexiglass, pizza, leather, plastic, paper, etc.) Even though I have others, I prefer the 45 mm.

I do use scissors for trimming, thread, applique; whenever appropriate and do have several sizes, but have not bought any type of scissor or cutter for years and years. Buy quality, take care of it and you will have a good investment.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:47 AM

merry christmas all you quilter from arkie
all of my new friends from around the world got good news from my cancer dr. i am 1 year cancer free
oh by the way i use scissors to cut all of my material
louise {arkie}
Old 12-24-2010, 12:46 PM

Every time I have a coupon for Hancock's or Joanne's I tend to get rotary cutter blades. I now have quite a stash for all of my cutters in all sizes.