Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scissors or rotary cutter? >

Scissors or rotary cutter?

Scissors or rotary cutter?

Old 12-24-2010, 12:51 PM
lbc

When I started quilting five years ago, I didn't even know what a rotary cutter was---now I couldn't live without it. Fortunately, I was introduced before cutting my first quilt.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by Flour Sack Mama
I still have scissors. If I decide to invest in a rotary cutter, do I need to be concerned about the brand to get a certain quality?

I don't think so, it is a matter of preference. Some prefer fiskars, some prefer Olfa, many don't care. Just be aware your investment in a rotary cutter would need to include the self healing mat and clear rulers as well. The rotary cutter is not much use without these other two items. But they are soooo worth the investment. You get much straighter more accurate cuts for strips, squares, rectangles, etc. I also find it an invaluable tool for squaring up units and assembled blocks.
I agree that you get a much more accurate cut and with much less effort when you are cutting anything with a straight edge with a rotary cutter.

That includes triangles and diamond shapes.

There are some things that you still need scissors for, but you will use them much less often after you start rotary cutting. I swear by Olfa cutters but some of my friends swear by Fiskar cutters. You'll have to see which one feels best in your hand.

And be careful. I kept thinking, "What idiot could cut herself with a rotary cutter?" and then I found out I was the idiot--twice in the same day. Not bad cuts, but enough to teach me some humility and encourage me to be more careful.

Be sure you get a self healing mat that is big enough to meet your needs. Use a coupon and get the whole shebang in a package at JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby. You can also find brand name rotary cutters and mats at Wal Mart. You can add to your equipment later as you see what you need.

Wherever you get them, they may smell a little like plastic that's been wrapped up for a little while. The odor will go away, just like new car smell and puppy breath go away.

Good luck! And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. froggyintexas
Old 12-24-2010, 02:40 PM

My very first quilt was cut out with scissors, basically because I didn't have a clue what a rotary cutter even was. But since that one 4 yrs.ago it is definetly a Rotary Cutter all the way.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:50 PM

Rotary cutter mostly, do use scissors for some things...
Old 12-24-2010, 02:57 PM

Rotary cutter for me always, scissors only to cut thread.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:58 PM

i also use a rotary cutter when cutting pieces - it is much more accurate and i can stack 3 or 4 layers and move along quicker.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:15 PM

So far rotary cutter.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

Rotary cutter
Old 12-24-2010, 04:33 PM

I use my rotary cutter most - I also bought the safety glove because I can sometimes be a klutz!! My skin is old and skins off easy so I sure don't want my cutter to slip. When I bought the glove at a quilt shop, the lady told me that I probably would not use it - but I do!!
Old 12-24-2010, 04:57 PM

I use the rotary cutter for the most part.