Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
scissors >

scissors

scissors

Old 04-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

I ordered some Karen Kay Buckley scissors. The reviews are very good so I thought I'd give them a try.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dgbrandt
Hi to everyone - I am new to the board and have been going through all the wonderful comments. My question is this - I do a lot of applique and have several scissors but none that I just love for the small cuts (sharp points) and that is comfortable for a lengthy period of time. Does anyone have just a good favorite for applique?
Thanks for all your help in advance!
Deb
Welcome from the TX Hill Country - I have a sm. pair of Gingher about 3 1/2" long w/very sharp points that are in a sm. leather case. They were given to me by a quilt guild many years ago when I had to move to another city. I also use them at my quilt frame & really love them - they aren't in the way, & slip quickly back into the little case between uses.

I only joined the board about a week ago & LOVE all the great ideas & tips these wonderful people are always eager to share.

Have a blessed day & may all your quilts be filled w/love. :lol:
Old 04-01-2011, 07:33 AM

Welcome Deb. I love to applique and I have a 3 and 1/2 inch Havel, 30140. It has slightly curved points, pink padded plastic on the handles. The points are very sharp and the handles are comfortable to use. Hope this works for you.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:07 AM

I have a pair of Cutco applique scissors. They really
feel very nice but are pricey like the Ginges. (Knives are really great too!)
Old 04-01-2011, 08:28 AM

I have a small pair of Fiskars about 2" sharp clear to the end. They have rubber handles, very comfortable and can be used for long periods of time. I love them.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:32 AM

Haven't read all the posts so I apologize if I am repeating info. Years ago, my needle turn applique teacher had me buy a pair of KAI (Fons & Porter brand) abt 3 1/2" scissors. They are extremely sharp, great control and really good for getting into those inner curves. I paid a whopping $12.00 for them (I thot that was really expensive!) A while back I was @ a Tuesday Morning store (they usually have odd ball sewing supplies really CHEAP!) where I found a pair of KAI scissors just like my others for $2.99. go figure! Ya never know where you're gonna find a bargain! And my motto: "buy it when ya see it! cause it's not gonna be there when u go back for it!" Have fun finding your perfect scissors!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B
Welcome! Good question. I have a pair of super sharp Fiskars snips with rubbery, spring-loaded handles. Verycomfortable. Only drawback is that they are so sharp as to be a bit dangerous and it's too easily to cut what you don't intend to cut.
me too - Fiskars scissors are the best for the money. If you want to go all out try Gingher duck bills made esp. for applique.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by pbreon
Originally Posted by FWDesigns
Originally Posted by quiltbuddy
Karen Kay Buckley has the best scissors.
Where did you get yours??? :shock:
Directly from her site: http://www.karenkaybuckley.com
Old 04-01-2011, 10:38 AM

There is a new pair out by Karen Kay Buckley, it has the micro serated edge. I love my serated edge sissors, it keeps the fabric from slipping.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:39 AM

I have a small Fiskars scissor that you can lock the handle on - and there is a spring that automatically opens the scissor when unlocked; it is very sharp, a very pointed end and it fits my hand perfectly, more control with it than a normal scissor you have to manually snip with. My hands lock up occasionally so love this one.