Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scrap Quilt Choices

Separate them between lights, darks and mediums. Then try to come up with a design fitting to the size blocks.

Kyia

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire_Rae
    Throw them all in a bag, take two out and sew them together. Repeat.
    Thank you for the chuckle!! But, it is a very good description of what I do. I will only put a fabric back if it's going to be next to itself. Otherwise, anything goes.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes it is the unexpected or ugly (tension) that creates excitement. I am a controlling scrappy quilter too, but I have one top that I just let it fly, and the setting helped to control things. If you used all fabrics that you love, then the quilt will tend to have a stronger pull in one thematic or color direction. Also try editing before sewing Spread out the blocks and allow yourself to pull out and replace the top 10 offenders that just don't seem to work with the rest. Just some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by NDQuilts
    Sometimes it is the unexpected or ugly (tension) that creates excitement. I am a controlling scrappy quilter too, but I have one top that I just let it fly, and the setting helped to control things. If you used all fabrics that you love, then the quilt will tend to have a stronger pull in one thematic or color direction. Also try editing before sewing Spread out the blocks and allow yourself to pull out and replace the top 10 offenders that just don't seem to work with the rest. Just some thoughts.
    I like the way you put this. Pulling out the top 10 offenders is a good way to fix the few that will always bother you if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by meemersmom
    Thank you for the chuckle!! But, it is a very good description of what I do. I will only put a fabric back if it's going to be next to itself. Otherwise, anything goes.
    Same here!

Quote Originally Posted by redbugsullivan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
    I know this is going to sound bad, but i was told i was "scrappy retarded" I like scrappy but I like controlled scrappy.

The best I found ot make myself do a more truely scrappy top is to throw it in a bag and just start pulling out squares.
    Thanks to you folks, I think I may be able to at least attempt the whole "surprise bag" thing. Like many, I do controlled random. So, what do you do when the two pieces you pull out look outrageously bad together?
    Throw it back in the bag and try again... but if it comes out a second time then I use it because it's got to be that way for a reason.

Blog Entries
    Funny that this was the first response in the thread and I took her at her word! All 480 squares are stitched to something and the rows are going together. The only time I put something back when pulling one out was if it made my teeth hurt looking at it.

So, have any of you experienced your work gets sloppier the closer the end comes? I've stopped for a bit because I was caring less and less if my corners matched!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2