Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scrap Quilt Choices

Blog Entries
    I decided to use up my scraps and make a "squares" scrap quilt. Now I have over 320 of the 480 squares I need and worry about how to fit all of these squares together in a way that will look good and use all of these little gems. When there are significant variations in color and style, how do you decide where pieces should go? The pattern's design works in rows but that won't work if the rows are not coordinated. HELP!!

Throw them all in a bag, take two out and sew them together. Repeat.

i hear that over and over but is so hard to do

Quote Originally Posted by redbugsullivan
    I decided to use up my scraps and make a "squares" scrap quilt. Now I have over 320 of the 480 squares I need and worry about how to fit all of these squares together in a way that will look good and use all of these little gems. When there are significant variations in color and style, how do you decide where pieces should go? The pattern's design works in rows but that won't work if the rows are not coordinated. HELP!!
    I'm doing a quilt that has 88 6 1/2" folded squares. They are of all sorts of fabrics. I CAN NOT MAKE MYSELF DO RANDOM. As of right now, I intend to make a stack of solids, small prints, florals, geometrics, stripes, large prints-------more or less. Then I'll decide what order then take one off the stack, one off the next stack

if you have hundreds of squares, I don't know what I'd try. Maybe follow a color wheel in a corner do yellows, then oranges, reds, purples, blues, greens

Blog Entries
    I just finished a top for my daughter out of scraps, 6" light and dark squares. Put a light on a dark, marked corner to corner, sewed on each side of mark, then cut on mark. Has made a beautiful top. Did a pin wheel design. King size and I had 360 blocks. 180 of lights and 180 of darks. Haven't learned to post yet, but that's coming.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire_Rae
    :thumbup: :thumbup: that would be my advice..

I just started a scrap TATW. I'm using 16 fabrics, that don't particularly go together but I'm hoping it will turn out nicely :)

Wjat is tatw?

Maybe the pattern you are using is not ideal for scraps. Let go of what your orginal vision was and go with a more random method.
    If you really want you could use the value to direct the pattern you want. Use light sqares , and dark to give the design.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire_Rae
    :thumbup: :thumbup: that would be my advice..
    The squares pattern I'm using has a 2" square in the middle of a 5" square. They recommended coordinating the square in the middle to the one that follows it. This is a serious scrap quilt meaning I took out the scraps I love and if I had enough fabric made the big squares. By using the 2" scraps for the middle squares, it's been great fun! I've made all sorts of terrific big squares but they run the gamut from super traditional to wild and crazy!

That whole random thing scares the pants off me! This is going on our bed and if a wild 'n crazy is next to a something calm and subdued but beautiful, it will get lost. When making squares, my one rule was- If I don't love it, don't use it.

I think I've created a MONSTER!

My Idea of a Scrapy quilt is just that Scrapy. But I do encourage to put a light and dark color side by side .. make 4 patches or 9 patches... you will be surprised as to what a wonderful quilt you will have in the end.. just a suggestion...

Double Irish Chain makes a wonderful scrappy quilt.

I know this is going to sound bad, but i was told i was "scrappy retarded" I like scrappy but I like controlled scrappy.

The best I found ot make myself do a more truely scrappy top is to throw it in a bag and just start pulling out squares.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
    I know this is going to sound bad, but i was told i was "scrappy retarded" I like scrappy but I like controlled scrappy.

The best I found ot make myself do a more truely scrappy top is to throw it in a bag and just start pulling out squares.
    Thanks to you folks, I think I may be able to at least attempt the whole "surprise bag" thing. Like many, I do controlled random. So, what do you do when the two pieces you pull out look outrageously bad together?

Sounds like a plan but I've done that and I alway wind up picking another piece because I didn't like what I chose randomly Sort of like you,. Its a control factor ..,. I still say lights and darks work best ... but hey its your quilt... and you definitely do what you want . God Bless your Quilt and I really mean it... :)

YOu can do controlled scrappy. I did a scrappy 9 patch. As long as the two fabrics in the 9 patch went together then all was right with the world. Once I got all of those unmatching 9 patches together that is when I just threw them together. It is awsome.

Quote Originally Posted by sak658
    I just finished a top for my daughter out of scraps, 6" light and dark squares. Put a light on a dark, marked corner to corner, sewed on each side of mark, then cut on mark. Has made a beautiful top. Did a pin wheel design. King size and I had 360 blocks. 180 of lights and 180 of darks. Haven't learned to post yet, but that's coming.
    I saw a picture of it, and let me tell you, it's beautiful!!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    YOu can do controlled scrappy. I did a scrappy 9 patch. As long as the two fabrics in the 9 patch went together then all was right with the world. Once I got all of those unmatching 9 patches together that is when I just threw them together. It is awsome.
    I did one the same fashion and it worked out great just like you said... and mine was awesome as well so now we know its possible to have 2 awesome quilts done like you discribed.. I know I'm beeing funny... got to keep the humor in when were trying to be serious .. with serious stuff.... I love to quilt and scrapy is fun love to do the crazy patch too... so many differnt avenues ....!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayFeathers

Sounds like a plan but I've done that and I alway wind up picking another piece because I didn't like what I chose randomly Sort of like you,. Its a control factor ..,. I still say lights and darks work best ... but hey its your quilt... and you definitely do what you want . God Bless your Quilt and I really mean it... :)
    Thank you! I like your idea and I think I'll be doing just that. This quilt has fabric from my childhood, a cherished quilt my mother and sister made and from friends. I look forward to sweet dreams beneath it. <3

quilting is a form of relaxation, or cheap therapy if you will. the end result will ALWAYS look good to someone, if not you. do not stress over the scrappy look too much. and i agree with lots on here that pull two out randomly and just go with it. if the two pieces are similar colors, pick another. it is VERY free-ing and will loosen you up for the next time. definetly try it. and have fun.

Banned
    then have two or three bags. One for each type design - smallm medium, large, light, dark etc and pull from each bag and sew sew sew. randomness is the key to scrapy quilts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    then have two or three bags. One for each type design - smallm medium, large, light, dark etc and pull from each bag and sew sew sew. randomness is the key to scrapy quilts.
    I LOVE it!!! That would be a wonderful way of meeting in the middle. Since it will be so big (60x80 squares) I have a feeling the sheer size will work everything out.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayFeathers
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I did one the same fashion and it worked out great just like you said... and mine was awesome as well so now we know its possible to have 2 awesome quilts done like you discribed.. I know I'm beeing funny... got to keep the humor in when were trying to be serious .. with serious stuff.... I love to quilt and scrapy is fun love to do the crazy patch too... so many differnt avenues ....!!
    I just Know what ever you decide its just going to be Wonderful
    Have fun thats whats its all about...!!!

A scrappy quilt should be scrappy meaning the planning doesn't have to be in it like a traditional pattern. I say just randomly toss out squares and see what turns up. I have great quilt book with a few good examples to share on that subject

Has anyone ever made an APPLE CORE quilt here?
    I am tiring of cutting out over 600-800 of them.
    Any recommendations for this pattern are appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast