Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap quilt hangup... >

Scrap quilt hangup...

Scrap quilt hangup...

Old 04-16-2011, 06:59 AM
dd

Originally Posted by kwhite
Yes I think we all "arrange" our scraps to a certain point. It is not a problem. If you don't like what came out of the bag then go back for another.
Some of mine are just scrappy but as you can see I like to arrange too. This quilt took me years. I was stringing this along (haha) as I was building my scrap pile.

What is it with cats and quilts? The other cat actually climbs under the quilts and sometimes can wrap himself. He gets to use the quilts before I do.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-185044.jpe   attachment-185045.jpe  
Old 04-16-2011, 07:16 AM

I made the "mistake" of adding a bright red in with a muted quilt. Didn't bother me but I gave it to my MIL who has dementia and she always mentions that red piece. So we turn the quilt over to the other side. (smiling)
Old 04-16-2011, 07:21 AM

I guess being raised by "Hippie" parents has really set me free, I have no qualms about fabrics not matching, no hang ups with random fabics coming out of the bags, I just go with what I grab. I love the quilts I get with this abandon and if someone I want to gift with the quilt isn't so enthusiastic about it,I then ask what would you prefer and make them a new quilt. My scrappy abandon quilt then finds a new home with someone less structured. I have 2 DD's one is a structured "control freak" (her words, not mine) the other goes with the flow. Structured DD is learning to quilt now and I am slowly getting her to mix fabrics that she doesn't think match.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:29 AM

This, also, is my method. Seems to work!!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
the only sorting i usually do is sorting light from dark- 2 bags- then i can alternate light and dark as i put pieces together- and when it's done you would be amazed how those fabrics that you would never put together work quite well together.
This is pretty much the way I do scrappy too.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:48 AM

dd - LOVE your scrappy!! As for your cat, he is trying to see if he recognizes anyone in the great cat fabric you used! My Quilt Supervisor tells me that she is merely adding to the warmth of the quilt by laying and shedding on it!! LOL!

Some of mine are just scrappy but as you can see I like to arrange too. This quilt took me years. I was stringing this along (haha) as I was building my scrap pile.

What is it with cats and quilts? The other cat actually climbs under the quilts and sometimes can wrap himself. He gets to use the quilts before I do.[/quote]
Old 04-16-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
the only sorting i usually do is sorting light from dark- 2 bags- then i can alternate light and dark as i put pieces together- and when it's done you would be amazed how those fabrics that you would never put together work quite well together.
This does it for me, too! A good quilter friend advised me to stop locking my jaw when I reached in to grab a piece, because after the quilt's 1/4 done, I'd see for myself that it ALL goes together. She was right.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:58 AM

I am anal. Mine have to be arranged. lol
Old 04-16-2011, 08:43 AM

I only do scrappy .If I can not play with color I do not play.BUT there are ways to play.One is to pick a border fabric with many colors in it and use all those colors both lighter and darker than the border in the body of the quilt.this will create a very good looking quilt with lots of different fabrics used If the pattern you choose needs a back round a black or off white fabric will give the continuity you need to tie it together with sashing.I am not a person who likes colors in the brown family so I find that because I like jewel tones both light and dark they worf in florals and others.If you like a particular type of fabric e.g. period fabric than make you quilt out of those it will allow you to .use many and create continuity. Hope this helps I could go on and on.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:47 AM

E
If you find scrap quilts hard to make then donate the scraps to a scrap quilter! It is okay. But there are many ways to make scrap quilts. Check out quiltville.com Bonnie Hunter does a wonderful job with scrap quilts. I understand wanting a matching colors type of quilt. But scrap quilts are the root quilts of quilting. Like many said just put the piece back in the bag and pick a new one. If too many of the same color are left add a few new scraps to the bags. Split the bags into light and dark only. I hope this helps. More importantly is to enjoy the process!