Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scrap saving

In keeping with Moira's idea, I know several quilters - myself included, who start making 'parts' of another quilt. For example, I will make 4 patch units or HST's when I have the right pieces - in various sizes - and keep them for a future project. That way, I will already have some of what I need when I'm inspired to start something new.

You could also do 9 patch units, quarter square triangle units, aka hourglass blocks, flying geese, Mary's triangle units, etc.

This might help you feel more organized.
    Jane

Love those houses, Moira! Nice village. Something like that is on my list too.
    Jane, I do that too. With leaders and enders, and sometimes when making HSTs, I use the leftovers that way. I have lots of partial bits. 4 and 9 patches, HSTs etc.

Blog Entries
    Hi jclinganrey! I have a house quilt that took me several years to build I pulled most of the pieces from my 1 and 1 1/4" strips. Traditional piecing for the 3" blocks. Looking for the photo..will post later.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

After using mine and my Daughter's scraps, sashes, borders, bindings and backings from my stash I made lots of quilts. I think I have made at least 80 this year. I am retired, almost 2 yrs. I sew 5-6 hours a day 6-7 days a week. We donate about the end of November to Foster kids in our county. Not always a real pretty pattern but lots of pretty scraps and will keep them warm. I consider it an honor to be able to help out, give something to keep them warm and something to call their own. I will be starting in a few days kiddie panels and my stash to make more.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

When I accumulate enough scraps for a quilt I will make one. Not saving any large amounts. I learned my lesson. Not using Daughter's scraps. I have lots of beautiful fabrics I want to make into quilts.

I am cleaning out closets etc. that I have done for a while and reorganized my fabrics. Just about done after two days.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I like scraps and would love to have them. If you send I will pay back the postage to you!
    Life is Good!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I just finished my fourth scrap quilt. My scrap pile is a little smaller but I still have a clothes hamper full. No suggestions except sewing faster.
    This is why I'm looking at industrial sewing machines. At 5000spm I should be able to make a couple more quilts per year!
    Nobody ever went wrong with kindness.

Yes, I would love scraps and rejected thread too! I'd pay shipping!
    Nobody ever went wrong with kindness.

I used to save all my scraps and I’d cut them down into 5 different sizes. That got old (and overwhelming) fast.

I now only keep 5” squares and 2.5” strips. It keeps things manageable. The rest gets donated to the owner of my LQS, who uses what she can for a 4H group she leads, and then shares the rest with the open sew groups. Any FQs or larger that I just fall out of love with get donated to a local charity quilting group.

It would be a waste if you threw them out, but you are giving them away. No guilt indeed.

I have hexie fever and am generating some small, odd shaped scraps. I think maybe I'll use one of those little drawer units from Sterilite, maybe, to sort the colors. They'd be great for appliqué, too. Now, I just have to fall in love with a technique that uses bigger pieces of fabric up.
    Love the house quilt idea.

Moira: Well you gave me a laugh - it really was a 'house' block. Perhaps I was over thinking it. Someday I want to do a smaller one as a wall hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    Hi jclinganrey! I have a house quilt that took me several years to build I pulled most of the pieces from my 1 and 1 1/4" strips. Traditional piecing for the 3" blocks. Looking for the photo..will post later.
    Hello! I remember the tiny pattern you sent me! Can't wait to see your quilt.
    Jane

Blog Entries
    Jane, I don't know if I've taken a picture of it yet. I've been searching my photos and can't find one, so will have to get one done!

Moira, that's a cute house quilt, too. What are the sizes of the blocks? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
    Hello! I remember the tiny pattern you sent me! Can't wait to see your quilt.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    Jane, I don't know if I've taken a picture of it yet. I've been searching my photos and can't find one, so will have to get one done!

Moira, that's a cute house quilt, too. What are the sizes of the blocks? TIA

Hello - here is a link to the quilt in the photo -

http://www.aquiltinglife.com/2016/04...ting%20Life%29

If you are interested there are a lot on Pinterest or just do a Google search for ‘house quilts’. Some houses are quite detailed but I went for something very basic. Most of my blocks will be 6 inches when finished but I have also made some ‘gable ends’ that are only 5 inches wide. I have been able to use up a piece of animal print fabric to add a bit of interest.

The quilt will will eventually go to the Project Linus UK charity.

Name:  76091B4D-AB1D-4AB4-83A6-593F4E445F85.jpeg
Views: 50
Size:  690.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Thanks Moira.. I've been looking for a picture of my Nothing but Blue skies quilt and haven't found it. Guess I will have to take one.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    Scraps do create a dilemma. The scrappy quilts are beautiful, but I truly am not inspired to make them myself. There are members of this quilting board who would gladly take them, so that is always an option. My very small scraps (under 2 1/2" for me) I put into a pillowcase-lined garbage can and when full, I sew it up to make an animal bed which a local shelter will take.
    I love this idea!. I love scrapes, leftovers, remnants, thrift store finds, you name it! I think I love the challenge of creating something from what others see as unusable, discard able, or undesirable. Most of my creations are for the blanket ministry at my church, but now see I can donate to the local shelters! Thank you!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2