Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap Sorting... Your Ideas? >

Scrap Sorting... Your Ideas?

Scrap Sorting... Your Ideas?

Old 02-10-2010, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Mine are pretty much all over the room. I intend to get a plastic container big enough for all of them. I do not believe that I will sort them, because, when I make my next scrappy quilt, it will probably have all kinds of colors in it. Some of them are already in little groups by color though, as I recently made a Log Cabin that was all blue.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:42 AM

I keep a tote bag on the door knob near my sewing machine and put all my leftovers into it. Anything over 1/4 yd goes onto my stash closet by color. Everything 2" or larger gets put into my very large scrap tote, also by color. I used to cut strips and squares and put them into boxes but now I just tie leftover fabrics together by color and cut whatever I need at the time. I make a lot of string quilts and use muslin or thin light colored fabrics for my foundations. My Guild is always getting donations of old fabrics that aren't suitable for quilts but those old thin light prints make excellent foundations after I wash them.

Gathering scraps now for a red, white and blue log cabin twin sized quilt. After cutting what I need from the scraps I'll move onto the smaller pieces in my stash closet. Have plenty of red for the center square, and lots of blues but it's the whites and small white prints that I don't have enough of. Will be at my Guild's meeting place on Saturday for a Pillowcase Sew In and while there I'll check out Guild's stash for some whites. May in Jersey
Old 02-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Bev

You've all given me so many good ways to deal with my scraps. It seems though, that they multiply faster than I can keep up with them. I had just finished organizing my quilting room and all of my scraps when I started on a group of small quilts for my bee's show. Yesterday I finished up with the last of those little quilts, and guess what? I now have another whole bag of scraps that have to be sorted! I'm exhausted at the thought of all this organizing again. I think I'll just give them to my friend the trashman. Kidding! They'll go to the guild if anyone wants them.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 AM

These are my 'finds' from PetSmart. They are used to display cat treats and were going to be thrown out. Now they display charm packs. I still have to figure out how to label them. Right now they are sorted by type, i.e., florals, civil war, fall, Christmas, etc.

Charm pack holder from cat treat display
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11939[/ATTACH]

two empty displays ready to fill
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11940[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-11939.jpe   attachment-11940.jpe  
Old 02-10-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by sunkistmi
These are my 'finds' from PetSmart. They are used to display cat treats and were going to be thrown out. Now they display charm packs. I still have to figure out how to label them. Right now they are sorted by type, i.e., florals, civil war, fall, Christmas, etc.
Wow. What a great find.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:34 AM

thats a lot of charm packs, WOW
Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Don't ask me..mine are all stuffed into about 3-4 Wallyworld bags and stuffed between the wall and the bed :oops:
I prefer the Trader Joe method...Brown bag with handles....lol
Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 AM

Maybe we should have a scrap swap? Whatcha think?
Karen
Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 AM

Should have added that there are all sizes of squares/triangles stored in there, including fat quarters. One of the LQS had charm packs on sale for $3.00 some time back and I lost my head (and checkbook)! I'm not great at coordinating fabric so having the charm packs with the collection works for me.
Wendy
Old 02-10-2010, 09:54 AM

How did you get them? Did you just ask them for the cases or do you work there? I like your idea.