Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap Sorting... Your Ideas? >

Scrap Sorting... Your Ideas?

Scrap Sorting... Your Ideas?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:42 AM

The one that is filled was sitting in the aisle empty. The other two were in the back by the receiving doors where they throw out the trash. I just ask if I could have them. The store employees do know me so I don't know whether or not that would make a difference but it couldn't hurt. By way of a vent, it makes me SO ANGRY at the stuff that is thrown away. Having said that, they are a big contributer to many of the rescue organizations but so much stuff is thrown away it is unbelievable!!!! Last night, there were 15 bags of dog & cat food, litter, some toys and other 'opened' product that was unsaleable. It was all going into the dumpster this morning. When I can, I go over and "dumpster dive" to pick out useable items. Some of the food that is thrown away is "expired", that is the 'use by' date was maybe Monday. It get thrown out Tuesday. Or maybe when employees are opening a crate, the bag is slit - out to the dumpster it goes. If someone returns a bag of food, out it goes. There have been nights I have gone home in tears. My biggest haul one day was 4 40 lb. bags of Purina dog food, 6 bags of various cat food, including Science Diet and Iams, 2 dog/cat beds (they were missing the little pillow), 4 collars, a retractable lead and 4 packages of cat litter. It used to be that they would just throw the stuff in but now they make big slits in the bags/boxes, rips in the beds, break any toys, smash the hampster cages, stomp on the pet carriers (the ones you put your pets in to carry in car or wherever) and then dump it into dumpster. Sometimes they don't do a great job and I can recover it with not too much damage. I've sewn rips together in the little beds, the animals don't care at the shelter. As I said, I would have gone back early this AM but we got so much snow last night that I figured everything would have been wet. One of the other volunteers got lucky so I have some to take to the shelter tomorrow when I go to get more kitties. On some days, they have had to give the animals less food because they just don't have it to give. Do you think 'they' care if it has been expired for one day or if the bag was cut by the employee? To a hungry dog or cat, it just doesn't matter. I know I'm way off the thread so I'll shut up. Just ask one of the managers if they may have anything or if they would be willing to put your name on it to save before tossing. I have been really happy with the one I am using and look forward to figuring out the best use for the other two. 3 more items NOT going to the landfill.
Wendy
Old 02-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Bev

Wow! I'm gonna have to take a run over to my local pet store. Who'd a thought??!!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by quiltingbea
I thought this was supposed to be a "quilting board". There is a live chat room for people to just 'chat'.
It's not really a bad thing to welcome someone to this forum. Certainly we were a little wordy in our chatter, but it didn't go on at great length. Sorry it became offensive. However I notice the other ladies have not been back for a visit since they were rebuffed. Did they really need to be scared away?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:59 PM

I'm sorry if I was one of the ones that were too chatty and caused offense. I was definately surprised at the comment and having reread the posts, really don't understand. However, I will watch what I write in the future.
Wendy
Old 02-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by wichypoo
Maybe we should have a scrap swap? Whatcha think?
Karen
Yeah I think so too. Let's just trade one big grocery bag full of scraps for another one. No rules as to colors or sizes needed. Except they should be big enough to be usable at least in a string quilt. Not everybody can take the time to make crumb quilts (like me.) How would it work?

8-) ;-)
Old 02-10-2010, 05:34 PM

Sounds like fun, but I don't have enough "scraps" to trade. I'm trying to collect enough to do a string or crumb. I'm just not a really prolific quilter so I don't produce many scraps to begin with. Good luck.
Wendy
Old 02-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Bev

I'm only half way serious anyhow. I don't see how we could do it.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:43 PM

Too bad I don't live closer to those who wanted to "try" my free stash storage system (kitty treat display). As I was walking out of the PetSmart on Thursday, one of the employees was dragging several of them back to the trash area. They will go out to the dumpster in AM.
Wendy
Old 04-19-2010, 12:21 AM
Google Goddess

are you still sorting your scraps!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:54 AM

Yes and no. I have been working with the scraps that wonderful angels have sent me for the shelter kitty quilts and have them 'sort of' sorted, They are all in one place with the batting so I can just go to that bin. I don't have many scraps left of my own because I used them all up before I asked for scraps on the board. I am still collecting selvages for my tote bag that I'll get to someday. Just by looking I would guess I have enough to do 3/4 of one side of a med. sized tote so I have a ways to go. I am trying to get my sewing room back together since I know I am going to need that room for the foster kittens. The little boy I have now will only be here for another 3-4 weeks then go to the people who found him. We may consider it even sooner once he is off the bottle and on solid food. I would rather he start bonding with them since he is so attached to his "momma" right now. He is going to be very, very hard to let go. He's sleeping tucked under my chin right now, purring. I found a really neat project that is PP that I am going to start collecting scraps and pieces for. Maybe I can use some of the smaller pieces from the leftovers of the kitty quilts. Thats where I'm at. Unless I get way ahead on kitty quilts it's going to be awhile before I'm working on anything of my own except for the two doll quilts I owe. They come first. We have had so many adoptions that they (the quilts) have been flying out of the center with the kitties as they go to their new forever homes. I can hardly express how wonderful the quilters on this board have been helping with this kitty quilt project. I knew quilters were special, I just never realized just how special and caring they were. I could not have undertaken anything of this magnitude without the help I have been give. I have been very blessed and am trying to pass on those blessing to these little ones that can't help themselves and only ask to be loved and cared for. On the labels of these little quilts, it mentions the quilters of the Quilting Board and the Michigan Animal Rescue League. Anyways, long answer to short question. Thanks for asking.
Wendy B